[RESOLVED] Motherboard Upgrade - Fixing Up Windows H'ware Configuration

Thread: [RESOLVED] Motherboard Upgrade - Fixing Up Windows H'ware Configuration

cssaus

Question Motherboard Upgrade - Fixing Up Windows H'ware Configuration

Can anyone please tell me how you can get Windows ME to rebuild it's hardware setup following the installation of a new motherboard.

The last time I did it Windows got itself really fouled up with all the new onboard hardware that I ended up having to do a complete re-install. Is there something that you can do to Windows before shutting it down before replacing the motherboard so as to ensure that the first boot after the reinstall Windows will reconfigure itself?

Steve

If you install a new mobo, you need to reinstall windows to have everything ok, I regulary upgrade mine, and have found it the best route, otherwise wasting twice as many hours trying to get it sorted.
    sometimes you get lucky, especially if chipset is the same.
    back up your important files and reinstall
    keep your blood pressure down that way
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

cssaus

I thought I had heard that you could do something to the Registry and then Windows would go through and rebuild its hardware configuration.

Steve

zorro

What worked for me several times start the pc in safe mode, then to delete most of the hardware in device manager.When you restart windows will rededect most of the important stuff.I did it several times on different pc's and never had trouble.

cssaus

From what you're saying, before shutting down prior to the installation of the new motherboard, go into device manager and delete anything that appears to be related to onboard devices.

Wink

I have not seen ME so this may not apply. In 95/98 you can delete the registry key ENUM under HKEY_LOCAL_MACH. Reboot and Windows will redetect your hardware. You will need your installation disks to reinstall drivers.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

dmarie

If you choose to not go with a reformat and new install, You are asking for trouble.This is a very lazy and haphazard way to do things. If you want it to run well with not "little" problems you should do a completely new install. Otherwise you can end up with a bad registry.I cannot stress enoungh how important this is to the health of your pc and its smooth operation.Why not do it right the first time and save yourself a ton of headache.

[This message has been edited by dmarie (edited December 03, 2000).]

I don't understand why so many of the "techs" here always feel reformatting is the answer...delete the 'enum' key in the registry and reboot. ME will rerun the hardware detection and you won't lose all your other registry entries.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

cssaus

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, killing the ENUM key seems to be the way to go.

Exclamation

When ever I move a drive from one system to another I like to fdisk it, redo the partitions, format then a fresh reinstall of Windows, then the PC is ready to go
    I just upgraded a bios on my new Soyo AT board ( Check my next post ) and I had errors on my partitions, direct x and Ddraw problems with Windows 998 se
    And I just upgraded the bios, I do the same thing when I switch mother boards, Back up, fdisk format or the BFF treatment
    Works better plays better, Nice when you have 2 PCs and a network
    I have moved drives from some PCS only to find they don't work with the new board because the bios treats the drive a little bit diferently
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

cssaus

Moving harddrives I never have a problem.

I use PowerQuest's DRIVECOPY and it works like a charm. This past weekend I swapped over from a 5 Partition 8GB HDD to a 5 Partition 20GB HDD. DRIVECOPY took care of the partitioning and resizing and after doing the move, disconnecting the old drive and leaving in the new one, the system booted up as if nothing happened.

Can thoroughly recommend the product. Mind you, I did a have a full backup on tape just in case!