maxtor 20GB HDD Problem.

Thread: maxtor 20GB HDD Problem.

maxtor 20GB HDD Problem.

I have a PC with a 20GB maxtor HDD which reported a missing windows system file.As a result ,i did a repair using a windows xp cd after which it said only 75% of the HDD is good and the rest is bad.But just after switching on the PC again it told me disk error and i shd press alt+ctrl+delete to restart .but still same thing happens.
    Can any one kindly help me with any solution or let me know where i can get a free HDD repair software(pls note :-not only data recovery) to boot the drive and repair the bad sectors .Now it's saying i shd change the HDD and press any key .In fact, I cannot afford hard drive mechanic .

I got powermax from maxtor's website but it didnt work .

Thanks in advance .
    Kings Were Once Servants !
    Gabzee Chapter 4 verse 5.

From the little I know about such things, there is no hard drive sector repair tool - you could try putting that hd in another comp as a slave and accessing the files that way to get them off of it.

Then, if succesful, you could try a complete reformat-reinstall and see if the bad sectors were due to virus/electrostatic problems.

That's all I have on this one.

If you havne talready Run checkdisk. It finds and repairs errors in you windows partition. There are two ways.
    1. insert your windows XP cd and boot from it. once you have the option hit R to get into the recovery console. Once it has finished put in the directory of your windiows installation, it should give a 1,2 or3 and should say windows so type that number when it asks and your admin password if you have one. once you can begin typing type Chkdsk and let it run. When its finished restart and hopefully that 75% will be usuable.

2.Or Use a friends or another computer you have plug your drive in boot and once the computer is fully booted go to My Computer and click properties of the drive you plugged in. then select Tool, then "error-checking" slect all the options and it will want you to restart so it can run. Restart and before the login screen checkdisk will start and again let it run until it finishs.

this also can solve the problem you stated you had earlier of a missing windows file. Hope this helps. Also download the diagnostic tool from your Hardrive manufacurer and run it to see if the drive is failing. And if your drive is stable enough you can hopefully back up the Data on another computer.
    Last edited by Potato Salad; August 10th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

mhdd - very handy tool.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Thumbs up

Hello All,

Thanks alot for your help ! Went on a little trek thats why the delay in writing.
    I have been able to recover all the data with pc inspector File recovery after
    slaving it.I also tried Flobo HHD repairer and HDD Regenrator ,but they were
    all trial ones which could not do enough for .
    Even though alot bad sectors were still found on it,i have been able to re-install
    windows xp after formating and it's working .
    But if it should fail again , i think i would go for a new hard drive to replace it;
    I think that's the best way to handle this situation.

Chao !!!
    Kings Were Once Servants !
    Gabzee Chapter 4 verse 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabzee
    Hello All,

Thanks alot for your help ! Went on a little trek thats why the delay in writing.
    I have been able to recover all the data with pc inspector File recovery after
    slaving it.I also tried Flobo HHD repairer and HDD Regenrator ,but they were
    all trial ones which could not do enough for .
    Even though alot bad sectors were still found on it,i have been able to re-install
    windows xp after formating and it's working .
    But if it should fail again , i think i would go for a new hard drive to replace it;
    I think that's the best way to handle this situation.

Chao !!!
    You should get a new hard drive now because that one is a ticking time bomb just waiting to fail.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir