USB Keyboard/Mouse not responding

Thread: USB Keyboard/Mouse not responding

USB Keyboard/Mouse not responding

This is a new one for me, I am working on a Dell Dimension E510 that was infected with Viruses and Spyware so I backed up what data I could and used the built in restore program. Everything went fine until I started updating drivers from Dell.com. I installed the Intel Chipset driver (dell version) and when the computer rebooted the USB keyboard and mouse no longer function when windows is loaded. They both work in Dos mode and in the BIOS, but not in windows. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Since the computer has no PS2 ports I just ran the restore again, but I have never seen that before. I am assuming the chipset driver had something to do with it, but still its weird.

Oh well, all I lost was a couple hours of work installing updates and stuff.

This time I am going to use the latest chipset driver directly from Intel and install that first. WHat a pain.., Guess I should of done that in the first place.
    Last edited by BOB IROC; August 12th, 2006 at 11:40 AM.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I am more and more convinced that a second HD for data ONLY is a must have these days.

Reinstalling is a far superior solution to repairs since so many other possibly malignant programs and files etc are left on the 'active' drive.

I think, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    I am more and more convinced that a second HD for data ONLY is a must have these days

Thats exactly why I have extra hard drives dedicated to my Data and Music.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

I also have a usb external harddrive to back up my pictures and music.

This is pure skeptisism but it is possible when you installed the chipset driver it may have uninstalled the USB drivers windows installs by itself with plug&play. But anyways thats just a shot in the dark, ive personally never experienced it.
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

I am assuming it messed up the USB drivers somehow, but since the only way to connect a keyboard and mouse was USB I had no way to fix it. I tried the F8 options and I suppose I could have done a repair install, but a restore was just as easy. Besides this dell had no windows CD to do a repair install with because it was a built in restore using a hidden partition.

My experience with Dell's and USB K/M is that sometimes Windows takes a minute or two (or three or five,) to recognize them. I was running into the same thing on new computers or computers that I'd recently worked on. The strangest one was where the mouse was plugged into the keyboard and it was working! The keyboard eventually responded, but it took more time than it should.

Just give it a few mintues, it will return.
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

I think it had something to do with the Dell issued Intel Chipset drivers. I just restored the machine again and used the chipset drivers direct from Intel. Before I restored the machine a 2nd time I let it sit for about a half hour while I ate dinner and it didn't recgonize them and I knew it had to be something with Windows because the keyboard and mouse worked in the BIOS and when the computer was booted into DOS.