Help

Thread: Help

Help

I am running WIN 98SE. I have added no new hardware although I do have both a CD-Reader and DVD-RW attached to my machine. I have been getting (starting today) the following error message.

"An exception 0E has occured at 0028:C004D965 in VXD VFAT (01) + 0000B8ED. This was called from 0028:C182D700 in VXD voltracks (04)+00000430. It may be possible to continue normally..."

I have a large amount of data on my HD that i would rather not lose. Can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of a solution.

Kiwimac

Hi kiwimac, welsome to Windrivers

OE errors in w98 can be caused by a variety of problems including faulty RAM, faulty dirvers, other faulty sw or hardware.

Microsoft do have a large sections of help for these problems, and you might car to look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...kbfatalexerr0e

although as I say there can be lots of possible causes. Someone else may know just this error and be able to point you to a more precise article or solution.

Can you start the machine in safe mode with no problem? That might help you narrow this down. In any case regular backups of important data are recommended as are regular up to date anti virus and anti malware sweeps.

Good luck

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Unplug the IDE cable connection to both CD-Roms(optical drives) and see if you get the same errors.If no plug back one at a time.

How many instances of cd-rom's to you have in control panel and are they flagged by the yellow warning?
    Last edited by street1; August 27th, 2006 at 05:36 AM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Do you have Nero InCD installed on the system? If so, it is a cranky application that has been known to cause this error, try un-installing it.

(And backup, backup, backup your data... )

Yes sir Get a DVD burner and nero7 and put all your back up on DVD
    disks. and you can put a lot on them.

why keep using Nero if it is the problem? uninstall it and install DeepBurner...it is free and works great as well as regular updates.

Working on this system. older Packard Bell computer c. 1997.

Disconnected the Cd & DVD drive. Computer came up with an ATAPI message. reconnected the drives and in the CMOS changed them from CDROM to AUTO. Computer now starts fine but will not find any drives.

When I change them back to CDROM in the CMOS get the same ATAPI error message. Which I cannot, unfortunately, remember the wording of.

Dang!

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Your into an area where you go to bios and enable or disable DMA.

You should have your 2 optical drives set as master and slave.

I would also put the optical drives on different IDE motherboard plugins not running them together on the same IDE cable.

Do a little searching for enable and disable DMA.I haven't done that for a while.
    Last edited by street1; August 27th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.