USB 2.0 File transfer cable not installing properly
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 File transfer cable not installing properly

USB 2.0 File transfer cable not installing properly

I just purchased a APC USB 2.0 File transfer cable.

We installed the software on both laptops.

On one laptop, it all installed properly.

On the other, the driver is not installing. I have installed and removed several times, and it's not helping.

Would someone help, please, ASAP? My daughter is home from college and we need to transfer files before she leaves.

TIA!
    Cary in OHio

what are the operating systems on the laptop that wont install? and is there any error message during installation?

Did you try logging in under admin rights if its XP or 2K as some users may have limited installation rights?

Hello.

I am having the same problem as CARY. I am running windows xp / profesional and I have admin rights. I did not get any error message. When I plug the cable I just get "Unknown Device" and it seems that windows do not recognize the driver. I get a " No driver uploaded for this software" message in the device manager.

Have you come up with a solution yet.

Thanks

Is service pack 2 installed on the xp machine?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes. The system information is:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

This is a Dell D610

Thanks

When you installed the software/drivers, did they all go to a specific folder and is there a .inf file therein for xp ?

edit: btw, I have been looking all around and cannot find an APC cable like this - IOGear has them. Do you have a URL?
    Last edited by CCT; September 15th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

The cable comes with a disk which installs the drivers automatically. Finding the folders and the files was quite complicated but after some time I found them in a temp folder in windows folder.

There is a file .inf and a file .sys there. I even try slecting the .inf manually but I got the message "This file does not contain information about your hardware"... But I am sure that is the inf file that comes in the installation cd.

The APC webpage is www.apc.com

This is a USB 2.0 File Transfer Cable (6 ft), I couldn't find it online either. I found it at Wallmart.

Thanks.

Carlos

There are two possibilities then - the cable has a fault or more likely, the usb controller or port or the software controlling them is corrupt.

Uninstall from device manager everything USB- hubs, controllers and usb devices, then shutdown - go into bios/setup and disable (if you can) the USB - often there is a legacy or dos entry as well as the universal serial bus entries... make sure you get them all.

Restart the computer check that USB does not appear in device manager. Look at the name of the inf and sys files you found in the temp directory and check for those file names under the windows folder (and it's sub folders). Delete them when found.

Reboot. Now go back to bios/setup and enable the USB again. Reboot, allow the machine to get fully to desktop. Reboot. Load the CD DO NOT plug in the cable unless instructed to do so by the installation software. Reboot and wait for it to get fully to desktop (no eggtimers anywhere) then plug in the cable.

BTW does the cable look like this?

Edit: on more research I think you mean ACP not APC...
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 17th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thansk a lot for your reply..I'll try following the procedure you recommend.

The cable is exactly as the one in the picture, I checked again and the name on the package is APC. (American Power Conversion Corporation). he cable model is USB2TC-6F-1V

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again

OK, that cable is a generic cable, APC may or may not be the manufacturer - I have found it under BAFO technologies here as well.
    The BAFO drivers and instructions are two thirds the way down this page - model BF 7311 - see if the pdf manual is of any help.

having same problem

Hi guys I just googled this problem and noticed I'm not the only one with a computer that won't install this driver.
    I have 2 laptops and one desktop. I was able to install this cable on one laptop and the desktop, but my dell laptop is giving me a hard time doing this.

I noticed that the computers that work have a driver called usbbc2.sys, and I already copied that file from the working computer and installed it on the WINDOWS/System32/drivers path on the non-working one. Still, when installing the driver manually, it says that it has to be a .inf file, and I can't find that one. Because of that, you can't direct the computer to use that file to drive that device.

What can we do????

Welcome to Windrivers wakkus

ON the link I left above, there is another set of drivers for what appears to be the same cable... try downloading those and seeing if the inf file is more err coooperative

Hello.

I still do not have good news. I followed the procedure NooNoo suggested.. OK!! Almost because I could not find how to disable the USB in the dell Bios SETUP.. probably I am blind but I do not see it.

Anyways I unistall everything I could and tried with the drivers that I downlowded from two different webpages including those at the link that NooNoo suggested.

Guess what!!! No luck... I still looking forward for the reply from APC support..

Let's see!!

Thanks anyway

Carlos

Can you please confirm the error message you get?
    "No driver uploaded for this software" does not appear as an error message as far as I know....