D drive not reading blank cd

Thread: D drive not reading blank cd

D drive not reading blank cd

I have windows xp, 768RAM, Dell 2400 series, and I have been trying to burn cds using wmp and my drive does not read that there is a disc in there. It displays, "please insert a blank cd". I have troubleshooted my device and says it's working properly. Any ideas or suggestions on what could be the problem? It also reads that my D drive is full. Any help with this would be appreciated by this newbie. Thanks

Hello you need to purchase a writing program. But that may not help if you do not have cd burner. go to my computer and look at your drives. You should have a C drive maybe a D drive, look at your cdroms and Point at them and right click and select properties see if any one of those has a RW.
    How many Icons on your My computer? To get there go to start and then select My computer.

I have a cd burner and when i clicked on my D drive properties, it is reading that all the space is used up. I have a cd-rw and I have 27.2GB free space on my C drive. I am fairly new at all this and I appreciate your help. What icons am i looking for on My Computer? Sorry.

When you go to start, My computer, then you should see C drive and
    maybe A drive (Floppie), And CD roms. Then you right click cd rom
    and select properties.

Thank you for responding so quick. My icons are Owner's Documents, Shared Documents, Flopppy (A, Local Disc(C, and CD-ROM Drive (D. When I click properties under the D drive, it shows me the disc space and it says that it is full. I don't understand that, I have 768RAM and I could burn cd's before. This is confusing to me I guess. Sorry for all the trouble.

any time you try to look at properties of a CD drive with blank disk in it it will show 0 bytes free. have you tried doing the same thing with a music CD or data CD in the drive? try downloading another burning program such as DeepBurner and try that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilblu66
    I could burn cd's before.
    Have to ask, before what? When did your computer stop burning CDs? Did you install/uninstall any burning software recently? My first guess is that, at 3 years or so old, your drive just needs to be replaced. Windows troubleshooting actually tells you nothing about the state of your hardware. Since the drive uses different laser systems to burn CDs and to play them, you can read but not burn.

Anytime I put a cd in, it will not read any cd's at all. I can't even use my resource cd from Dell. I purchased a laser cleaner and that did not help. I almost think it is time for a new computer. I will have to try the DeepBurner, but as I stated, it will not read any disc I put in. What to do?

if you want a new computer go ahead... but you could just replace the cd burner... having you tried starting the computer with the dell installation cd?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."