ASUS A7V333 Raid Question

Thread: ASUS A7V333 Raid Question

Post ASUS A7V333 Raid Question

Does anyone have this board yet?

If so, can you use one hard drive on the RAID array without any problems.

I want to use my 80GB Maxtor on the RAID channel (I cannot afford a second one at the moment) which would allow my DVD and CDRW drives to be Primary Master and Secondary Master thus potentially allowing them to run at maximum speed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

From what I have read of the Promise ATA133 RAID controller, you cannot use a single drive on it like you can with the Highpoint version. It is simply a RAID controller and that is it (unless Promise change the specs on it with a later revision)
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by ozrica:
    .....which would allow my DVD and CDRW drives to be Primary Master and Secondary Master thus potentially allowing them to run at maximum speed.

Darren , has answered your question, but if this is your problem have a look at your busmaster drivers (whatever chipset) and look for any bios updates for your mb, these can often be the cause of 'unexplained' speed differences.

Newer boards seem to support different speed devices better on the same channel, presumably newer and better southbridge chips but you can't say all by a long way

I have both my Plextor CDRW & Toshiba DVD on the same channel (Master & Slave) and easily burn CD's 'on the fly' without any problems (around 5 minutes for a 80min disc). I don't see any deficiet(sp) either by having both HDD's (both Seagate Barracuda iV'x , 1 x 30Gb & 1 x 40Gb 7200rpm drives) on IDE1 either.
    I moved the HDD's to the Highpoint HPT370 controller that my board has a few days ago and I could notice that the drive access was slower than normal. I put this down to the drivers that XP is using for the controller.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Just to let you know I am currently setting this board up and it DOES allow one hard drive on the RAID array.

The board looks fantastic. It's got a hell of a lot of extras included.

I'll post more info if anyone is interested.

[quote]Originally posted by ozrica:
    Just to let you know I am currently setting this board up and it DOES allow one hard drive on the RAID array.

If that is the case then Promise have changed their specs on the ATA133 controller that they are using. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I read somewhere (on one of the hardware sites somewhere) that this was the drawback between the Highpoint & the Promise. Good news though none the less.