Ghost 2003 and Vista RC1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ghost 2003 and Vista RC1

Ghost and Vista

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Is it the boot cd as described in the link?
    Well the article from the link indicated that you could use the boot floppy created by NG 2003 (just that they did not have a floppy drive that is why they made a bootable CD). I do have a bootable CD as well. But I have to wait until Aug to see if it will work.

It plainly states that Vista does not like the bootable floppy - you must use the cd and make it as described.

Make a "Bootable ghost CD" (or floppy disk, but our computers don't have disk drives anymore).
    Here is some info on how to create a bootable ghost cd.
    FYI you will need the bootable ghost CD because windows vista HATES ghost 2003, so its not easy to install it. If you have a bootable CD, you have no worries, and just boot from the CD any time you want to backup or restore your system.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    It plainly states that Vista does not like the bootable floppy - you must use the cd and make it as described.
    "Make a "Bootable ghost CD" (or floppy disk, but our computers don't have disk drives anymore).
    Here is some info on how to create a bootable ghost cd.
    FYI you will need the bootable ghost CD because windows vista HATES ghost 2003, so its not easy to install it. If you have a bootable CD, you have no worries, and just boot from the CD any time you want to backup or restore your system. "

I was under the impression that when it stated Vista Hates ghost 2003 so does not install... it meant that you can not install that version on ghost and run the interactive backup/restore....

I see what you mean...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

For anyone who needs to use a Ghost® floppy, I have used Ghost® 2003 many times with a floppy on Vista, you just have to type the following under a run command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot

bcdedit /set {default} device boot

bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

Remember to hit the enter key after each line. It will tell you if you typed it correctly.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    For anyone who needs to use a Ghost® floppy, I have used Ghost® 2003 many times with a floppy on Vista, you just have to type the following under a run command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot

bcdedit /set {default} device boot

bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

Remember to hit the enter key after each line. It will tell you if you typed it correctly.
    Thanks for the info... One question... do I type it exactly or do I substitue a drive/device letter in place of "device boot"?

Then after doing the above, do I just restart as normal to allow to boot to the floppy/CD?

Next, I got to thinking that the Issue I am having may be caused by the fact that the HD is SATA not IDE. Found a couple of posts regarding to that and having to use the noide switch. However, if I do it this way, then how do I back up to the CD/DVD drive?

Nope, type it exactly as shown. Then shut down and run Ghost®.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Hi there Guts3d.

I am a Newbie to this forum and this is my first inquiry so I hope I am doing it correctly. :-)

You said to type the "commands" under a RUN command, my question, at what point does the command line come up?

I put in either the floppy or the CD and Ghost 2003 boots to the program. I re-install and Ghost does it's thing. Upon completion of restoration I back out and quit the Ghost program (I do not use the button 'Reset Computer') which after the 'quit' I get the black screen. I then press Ctrl+Alt+Del and the computer restarts.

During this restart I remove the floppy/CD and I have Windows back again.

Well this is what happens with XP. For Vista the re-installed program does not reboot. Again I ask, where is the RUN command you refer to?

Sorry to be so long winded but I do not know how better to describe my question.

Regards

Welcome to Windrivers janset... I am sure Guts will also add to this,
    but to Run a program for command line, you need to have the command line window open.

In both XP and Vista, the programme you need to run is called cmd.exe
    In Vista there are two types... if you just type in the search box, it will come up with cmd.exe, but it won't be running as administrator, which you need to do.

To get the administrator version, click the round windows button, go to accessories and you will see the cmd entry - RIGHT click on that and select runas Administrator. You will get a black box up, type your commands in there.

Hi Janset, welcome to WinDrivers.

Use the sequence suggested by Guts3d from the command line in Vista before you shut down and create the image. It sets up the boot conditions so the imaged Vista can start up properly when it is resored from the image.

Thank guys, both of you. You both have answers with information that I needed but did not know how to go about.

I will try you suggestions as soon as time permits. Unfortunately the wife thinks that renovating the kitchen comes first so I have to be devious.

Regards

Just one more thing guys, if I may ask a "lateral" question.

The drive I want to use is a 160 Gig WD. I would like to partition this into 2 equal halves.

The questions: 1. Can Ghost 2003 (with your suggestions included) be restored to one of the 2 partitions; and

2. What is the best method of partitioning this 160 Gig drive?

I can not partition the 160 Gig at the moment as that is the one that has the Vista OS on it, but I can remove the Vista HD that is in a removable cassette and insert my XP Pro HD if need be..

I wish is to Ghost Vista onto a spare 40gig HD then partition the 160 Gig and restore the backed up Vista off the 40 Gig back onto one of the partitions.

Can you please help me with this one also?

Regards

Woo Whoo!

With the excellent advice given it worked a dream!

Take a bow guys.

I really put the system under the pump by putting a 40Gig HD loaded with 2K Pro running a Fat 32 format and it just loaded over it without even a hic-cup.

Just one more question concerning this magic fix, do I have to type the instruction into the command window every time pre Ghosting with 2003 or, once the magic 3 commands have been typed it it is there forever?

Regards

It stays on the image, so you wouldn't have to do it to that hard drive again.

Hi Guts3d.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry to labour this point but I need to clarify this in my own mind.

I understand that your " golden rule" will be retained on the first image and this will enable a successful re-installation of the Ghosted backup. I have already tried it and I am impressed at how well it worked...Good Job.

But what happens on subsequent Vista backups weeks or even months later?

I make an image today using your "3 point magic", some weeks later I may make another backup, and a few weeks after that another and so on until I may have 3 or 4 Ghosted backups.

The question is, do I have to use your golden rule each and every time that I make a fresh Ghost backup of the image or will the initial (very first) application of the golden rule carry on over to each and every subsequent backed up image?

Now if that does not confuse you nothing will!

Regards
    Last edited by Janset; February 12th, 2009 at 07:54 PM.