XP CD discussion - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: XP CD discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    rgharper!! to answer your response the other company want's an outragious price, and yes MS should be glad to send anyone with a lagit COA a disk no matter where you bought the OS, I bought this one off ebay for my husband as a present about 2 1/2 years ago, finding the receipt or ebayer is not an option this is MS BS send you to an OEM company because they don't want to provide a disk.
    You're missing the point - Microsoft can't send you the OEM disc because they don't make them. Period. They could send you a retail disc if that were an option - but it would not work with the key you have!

Does it suck? Yeah. Is it Microsoft's fault you lost the CD? No. Does Microsoft benefit from the sale of OEM CDs? No. The OEM buys copies of Windows dirt-cheap, customizes them as they see fit, and then sells them to you with your computer (or other qualifying hardware purchase). The OEM designs the disc, produces the disc and ships the disc. Microsoft has no involvement with this. And they have absolutely zero way to replace it.

Sorry.

I know you have ordered him another disk. I hope this time you will look after it and the receipt. But if he has been building pcs for 43 years I'm sure he would have a source or use the action pack disks. Tell me, what computers did he build 43 years ago?

Street, my husband is a computer builder for 43 years custom builder
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    I believe back in 1963 a PC was a Prarie Cow.I don't know.
    I should know.I better not say.Mark Twain.......Remove all doubt.

http://akihi.net/blog/photo/archives...rairie_cow.php
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

I had an unusual experience earlier today. I tripped on some steps and hit my head a pretty hard knock. You know the old cliche about your life flashing in front of your eyes? Well, that's pretty much what happened to me.

But, my flashback seemed to have a disproportionate ammount of time spent on my shortcomings. Times I had treated other people shabbily, spoken to them hastily and harshly, or been needlessly cruel and demeaning. All that sort of thing.

None of my posts to OMG showed up in that sequence. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I had an unusual experience earlier today. I tripped on some steps and hit my head a pretty hard knock. You know the old cliche about your life flashing in front of your eyes? Well, that's pretty much what happened to me.

But, my flashback seemed to have a disproportionate ammount of time spent on my shortcomings. Times I had treated other people shabbily, spoken to them hastily and harshly, or been needlessly cruel and demeaning. All that sort of thing.

None of my posts to OMG showed up in that sequence. Huh.
    Thanks!!

43 Years ago I do not believe we had computers that long ago

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357

Computers were being built in early 1940's aprox. most likely sooner, later in years they began building them for public use.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    They were just made out of a grey colored meat in our gourd and we
    had to use them.

I've been putting together the abacus for the last 1500 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) contains the install code numbers, and certifies this is genuine Microsoft software.

____>A COA is not a software license<______ LOL then all our OS's are illegal
    you can snicker at the actual quote from microsoft if you want, but it is only your own ignorance that is showing..a COA means certificate of authenticity..it is not a license, it is a certificate showing that the software is authentic..basic english
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by slavedriver
    Computers were being built in early 1940's aprox. most likely sooner, later in years they began building them for public use.

yep..the baby was built on June 1, 1948

The first program to run successfully, on June 21st 1948, was to determine the highest factor of a number. The number chosen was quite small, but within days they had built up to trying the program on 2 to the 18th power and the correct answer was found in 52 minutes, involving about 2.1 million instructions with about 3½ million store accesses.

F.C. Williams later said of the first successful run:

"A program was laboriously inserted and the start switch pressed. Immediately the spots on the display tube entered a mad dance. In early trials it was a dance of death leading to no useful result, and what was even worse, without yielding any clue as to what was wrong. But one day it stopped, and there, shining brightly in the expected place, was the expected answer. It was a moment to remember. This was in June 1948, and nothing was ever the same again."

and the first commercially available computer was built in february 1951..the Ferranti Mark I...a bear to program with base 32 paper punch coding
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Certificate of Authenticity (COA) can serve as proof of license
    Can... not does. The use of the word can there implies that there are conditions or circumstances under which a COA can be taken as proof.

Q:Q:
    What is Proof of License?

A:
    With the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 the words "Proof of License" began appearing on COAs and Product Key labels. A genuine Microsoft COA or Product Key label with the words "Proof of License" indicates legal proof of ownership of the associated software. COA labels and Product Key labels should always accompany the product they are associated with and cannot be purchased separately.
    Your COA is not covered by this statement as it does not contain the words "proof of licence". No one said your COA was illegal. No one questioned that you had bought it. I said that you could not provide proof of ownership because you said you could not find the receipt - which you then said you could find, but the ink was faded.

But at the end of the day you have missed the vital point.

You still haven't taken onboard the fact that you required an OEM cd. Microsoft does not support OEM, that is the point of OEM. Microsoft put you in touch with an OEM business. That business decided to charge you $85 - that is their decision - not Microsoft's.

Attacking Microsoft for another company's policy is like blaming Boeing for the price you were charged by the airline for replacing the ticket you lost.
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 21st, 2006 at 05:06 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If you have a product code, then you have a licence to run that software, If you lose the disk , you should be allowed to make one back up copy
    I think M$ even encourages slipstreaming service packs into a Windows install disk, this requires copying the cds contents to the hard drive, slipstreaming the service pack, then burrning the cd
    I have a few original XP cds and a match service pact 2 for each one, complete with an unattended file
    Makes installing XP much easier
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Quote Originally Posted by format c:
    If you have a product code, then you have a licence to run that software, If you lose the disk , you should be allowed to make one back up copy
    Unfortunately OMG had not made a back up copy before losing the disk. I have back up copies of all the software I use. The originals are kept together in an archive. The copies are on the cd rack for daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Can... not does. The use of the word can there implies that there are conditions or circumstances under which a COA can be taken as proof.

Your COA is not covered by this statement as it does not contain the words "proof of licence". No one said your COA was illegal. No one questioned that you had bought it. I said that you could not provide proof of ownership because you said you could not find the receipt - which you then said you could find, but the ink was faded.

But at the end of the day you have missed the vital point.

You still haven't taken onboard the fact that you required an OEM cd. Microsoft does not support OEM, that is the point of OEM. Microsoft put you in touch with an OEM business. That business decided to charge you $85 - that is their decision - not Microsoft's.

Attacking Microsoft for another company's policy is like blaming Boeing for the price you were charged by the airline for replacing the ticket you lost.
    OMGmissinglink, never argue with idiots they will just drag you down to their level.

crumbs, another daffy86/omgmissinglink clone.