Dell Inspiron 1000 on Widescreen monitor
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dell Inspiron 1000 on Widescreen monitor

Dell Inspiron 1000 on Widescreen monitor

Hi

A friend of mine has a dell inspiron 1000 laptop but the screen bust on him a few weeks ago; instead of forking out to get the screen fixed it was suggested to use a monitor connected to the laptop.

He recently purchased a videoseven 19" widescreen monitor, with max resolution of 1440X900, connecting the monitor to the VGA port on the back of the monitor it relayed the image on his laptop to the monitor and filled the entire screen.
    The only thing is, it would be great if it is possible to set the resolution on the laptop to 1440X900 so that the image which is relayed through to the monitor is the correct resolution for the monitor. At present the max resolution which can be selected is 1024 x 768. I tried installing drivers from the cd which was supplied with the monitor but all what appears to be on the disc is pdf manuals in various languages.

Is it at all possible to set the graphics to a display of 1440X900 and have it so the only display being used is the monitor and the display on the laptop is disabled. Perhaps the use of another monitor driver or a generic monitor driver will allow a resolution of 1440X900 to be set.

Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome to Windrives djphatic

Screen resolution is not depended purely on the monitor... it is also dependent on what the video card can do - can you post what graphics card you laptop is using?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hi

all i know is that the laptop uses a SIS M650 chipset, which im guessing it uses for the graphics card as well.

It is the M650 graphics and according to the limited specs I have found for this chipset, you are at max resolution - sorry.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by djphatic
    Hi

A friend of mine has a dell inspiron 1000 laptop but the screen bust on him a few weeks ago; instead of forking out to get the screen fixed it was suggested to use a monitor connected to the laptop.

He recently purchased a videoseven 19" widescreen monitor, with max resolution of 1440X900, connecting the monitor to the VGA port on the back of the monitor it relayed the image on his laptop to the monitor and filled the entire screen.
    The only thing is, it would be great if it is possible to set the resolution on the laptop to 1440X900 so that the image which is relayed through to the monitor is the correct resolution for the monitor. At present the max resolution which can be selected is 1024 x 768. I tried installing drivers from the cd which was supplied with the monitor but all what appears to be on the disc is pdf manuals in various languages.

Is it at all possible to set the graphics to a display of 1440X900 and have it so the only display being used is the monitor and the display on the laptop is disabled. Perhaps the use of another monitor driver or a generic monitor driver will allow a resolution of 1440X900 to be set.

Your monitor is producing its highest resolution, you will have to repair the laptops screen to obtain 1440X900

i found this http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm

though I have yet to try it on the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by djphatic
    i found this http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm

though I have yet to try it on the laptop
    The chipset is a mobile one so don't be surprised if the drivers refuse to install. Did you check at Dell for an updated driver?

Quote Originally Posted by daffy86
    An exterior monitor can only run as high as its limits....your friends lappy screen is designed to run higher limits.
    He recently purchased a videoseven 19" widescreen monitor, with max resolution of 1440X900,
    I really doubt the laptop had a 19 inch flatscreen monitor..If so I would love to have one. He installed an external monitor capable of 1440x900..the laptop max resolution is 1024x768. You are looking at it backwards
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by daffy86
    Where your confused Lappy monitors are not the same as CRT monitors.
    Where you're confused..the Videoseven 19 inch widescreen isn't a CRT monitor..it's a TFT Flatscreen
    and anyway..1024x768 is the number of pixels sent to the screen. Works on both crt and flatscreen. 1024 dots in 768 lines, etc.
    Computer Rescue Service

no way you will ever get that resolution from that laptop.

Err guys, I think I already said that... but he has found a driver that may install and we all know it can't hurt to try.

The video card is capable of supporting 2048x1536 @32bpp

you currently have the screen set to "clone" wich means that the image displayed on the internal display will also show on the external, hence you are restricted to the internal display's resolution (1024x768).

If you have installed the dell drivers, you should have a "sis" symbol in your task bar. Use that to have the system detect the external monitor and set the resolution.

click the icon, display properties then Driver mode Settings.

You should be able to set things there.

The other tip that may work, there should be a reed switch (Detects if the LCD is closed or open on the notebook) Try pushing it in to make the computer think the lid is closed, it will usualy default to the external monitor, this *should* give you unrestricted resolution setting.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I read that that comp had 512 mb ram (it's max) and that the graphics chip used 64 mb of that, and that 1024 x 768 was the 'native' resolution.

Given those figures, I would wonder that it could get much better than the native and still have the comp operate anyway near 'good'.

I think at 1600x1200 and 16 million colors, you only need 8 mb of video ram to operate..so the capability of the video controller is the only limiting factor here.
    Computer Rescue Service

Thanks for your replies

So far i havent been able to get any sort of widescreen resolution.
    Ive updated the drivers/software to 3.73 from the SiS website using the UniVGA3 drivers and updated the Vbios to 2.16.02, this was from the dell website as I couldnt find any Vbios update on its own which would update to 2.28.00 or higher.

I am able to disable the laptop display screen using the SiS Utilities; though the max resolution I can select when the primary monitor is set to CRT is 1280x1024.
    When set to LCD it only goes to 1024x768.

Is it possible to get just the vbios update from another set of laptop drivers which uses the SiS M650 which would take it to 2.28.00 or higher. Maybe this will allow me to be able to select a resolution of 1440x900 or just any widescreen resolution for that matter.

I dont know where the reed switch is to make it think the screen is closed, if I just close the screen the laptop goes into sleep mode.

Im really just looking to set the display to any widescreen resolution now, even if it is not the maximum of the monitor as it is annoying having screwed up text.