[RESOLVED] explorer.exe utilizing 100% CPU

Thread: [RESOLVED] explorer.exe utilizing 100% CPU

Resolved [RESOLVED] explorer.exe utilizing 100% CPU

Ok here's the deal, last night I was working on making my parents a picture slideshow DVD for their 25th Anniversary and I was browsing google image search for copyright free clipart to use on the DVD Case. Well I found some nice clips and when to download them by right clicking on the image and doing a save as and my my computer locked up in the save as window. Well I killed the task using task manager and the computer was still sluggish so I rebooted.

After the reboot the computer worked fine until I explorered the My Pictures folder where I had the Slideshow images saved. This is also the folder I tried to save the online clipart to. When I look in task manager explorer.exe eats up my CPU at 99-100%. I can usually recover by killing the explorer process and restarting it, but the problem keeps coming back when I go back to that folder. I tried moving the data out of that folder into a new one, but the computer gets so sluggish that I can not complete that.

Here's what I have done to try and remedy the situation. I tried to do a system restore to the last save point. That didn't help so I disabled system restore and scanned for viruses and malware using Norton, Bitdefender online and Ewido Online and all is clean (in Safe Mode). I cleared the internet explorer cookies and online content files. I ran a ScanDisk on all the hard drives and a complete defrag. I was unable to test to see if the problem still happened this morning because I was running late, but I thought I would post the problem to see if anyone else has experienced this and knows what else I can try. I am not sure why it is doing this unless the computer is searching for something in that folder that is not there. Thanks
    Last edited by BOB IROC; September 22nd, 2006 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added more details
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Can you post the link to the pics? how big? animated? XP64 or media centre?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It is Windows XP Professional 32Bit.

The pics were just simple black and white jpgs

I think this was the link http://www.lasergrl.com/clipart_samples.php
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

I have had a similar issue like this only with videos. Do you have it setup to view everything as thumbnails or film strip? If so, try changing it to view as details to see if that helps. When I did that with my videos it stopped causing my explorer to hang. I think there was a specific video that caused it because when I burn some to cd and deleted them from my hard drive it stopped hanging when I viewed them thumbnails.

Yeah I tried changing the view to details so I could copy them to another directory and it still hung and it only hangs when I go into that folder.

Just a quick question..

Has this machine got "Easyshare" installed? (Comes bundled with Kodak cameras).

Had one a while back with exactly the same symptoms and (eventually) discovered that the problem was due to this program.

Clearing most of the images from the Easyshare albums returned the machine to normal again - seems that this software gets very buggy if too many are entered into it. Much over 600 and the machine slowed markedly!

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

As far as I can tell those aren't public domain clip art samples - they are copyrighted samples for the company.

I can see why one might think they were public, but I don't believe they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Atodini
    Just a quick question..
    Has this machine got "Easyshare" installed? (Comes bundled with Kodak cameras).
    No that is not installed. I do not have any image organizing software of that type on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    As far as I can tell those aren't public domain clip art samples - they are copyrighted samples for the company.

I can see why one might think they were public, but I don't believe they are.
    Regardless I didn't get the image and I did not see any copyright information an it should not cause an error like this just to save an image to the computer.

Try changing the type of folder.

It may be a corruption. Try moving one file at a time to another directiory and see if the behaviour alters.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unless perhaps there is some code hidden there - that's why I mentioned it. Grabbing stuff off the net can be hazardous.

What if it is some innocuous thing that isn't malware exactly BUT tries to run some kinda slide show every time you access the folder and you can't so it cycles?

They 'save as' with no problem here..no viruses..no hidden code. I put them in a slide show with no problems..I don't think the problem is with the pics or the pic web site
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Thats what I am going to try when I get home but when I open that folder (even in safe mode) the computer hangs up.

try repair console then?

Well it appears it was just a corrupted folder or file in that folder. I backed up the files one by one and then deleted the folder. I had to reboot the computer before I deleted the folder because it seems once I open that folder windows gets hung trying to search it for something. Thanks for all your replies, I just didn't want to lose the data in that folder. I spent hours scanning old photos for this slideshow that I need for tomorrow and didn't want to have to re-do it.