Standard Mouse Drivers Xp

Thread: Standard Mouse Drivers Xp

Standard Mouse Drivers Xp

Hi!
    Is there a Standard Mouse driver for Windows XP? I bought a Toshiba Tersa 8000 laptop for a disabled friend and installed winXP on it. It works fine with the USB mouse, but when I try it with the Standard mouse w/the round connection it just hangs until I insert the USB mouse.
    dragon

At what point do you connect the ps2 (round connection) mouse? PS2 mice are not recognised unless you plug them in with the unit powered down. It is quite likely that damage to the PS2 port may have occurred if you plugged in a mouse with the laptop powered up.

Have you checked that the laptop supports a ps2 mouse - the connection may only be for a keyboard.

And to answer your first question, yes XP knows what to do with a standard ps2 mouse and even the most complex mice will work at a basic level (point and click).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I doubt there is a PS2 (round) mouse port on your laptop - it will probably only accept your USB mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto
    I doubt there is a PS2 (round) mouse port on your laptop - it will probably only accept your USB mouse.
    Pluto, only a few laptops have no PS2 port. The laptop is probably a Tecra (not tersa) - a quick look at the specs shows that it does have a PS2 ports

A list of the most basic model of the series ports can be found here

It also supports both keyboard and mouse on the PS2 port so that's not it...

I had a thought though.... often the PS2 port shares an IRQ with the onboard modem, serial ports or worse, the onboard mouse and the sharing can cause the symptons described.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Vernon, you're really making me remember a ways back! The Tecra 8000s and most of the Toshiba laptops of that time originally included mouse control software that let you select between the laptop's pointing device, and an external mouse, or both. The Accupoint driver installed a Control Panel utility to let you configure the pointing devices. The mouse had to be plugged in while the system was powered down, then you used the control utility to select your pointing device(s).

Most (not all) BIOS just reserve IRQ 12 for the use of a PS/2 mouse, so there is never a conflict on this interrupt. But I'm pretty sure the Toshiba defaults to using IRQ 12 for the on-board pointer, and without an XP version of the Accupoint software (and there isn't one), I think you won't get a PS/2 mouse to work. So, just use a USB mouse, and if you need more ports, get a USB hub.

Hi!
    Thanks so much for the info. Sorry it is a Tecra. I tried the mouse plugged in with the laptop powered up, as Noo Noo said and it works fine. The only thing is that the USB mouse is better, but I didn't see any Mouse File in the Control panel to make any adjustments. Also I would like to repeat that I bought this Laptop for a disabled friend, who is acutally a member of the family and I just discovered that M$ on the winXP install tells me that I have 28 days to activate when I have already registered on my computer. Where do I go from here?
    dragon

I think you mean the laptop powered down?
    The USB mouse may have come with some extra drivers. If you post the make/model of the mouse, I can have a look at the manufacturer's website... unless you meant the PS2 mouse... again these can have extra drivers.

I think you are also saying that you put your copy of XP (which you have already registered and activated on your own computer) on your friend's laptop. This is against the licence agreement.

You or your friend/relative will have to buy a copy of XP for the laptop or if money is a problem then consider using one of the free linux operating systems.

Hi noo noo!

This is a standard mouse - round 6 pin w/small l in center. This is an eMachines mouse. On the back reads PCC ID: JNZ211167 Made in China. Also there is a CE

Hey noo noo!
    How do I get my name off the Registered User? I went to edit profile, and my name is there but can't change it. The only thing there to edit is email and password. In the "Edit Signature" I have "dragon" which I thought would appear on each post. In the "Edit Option" have show signatur, avitar, show images. Could you help me with this so I can have "dragon" instead of my name?
    dragon

Your name must be text. If you want to change your user name you need to email the admin. Give an alternative in case that name has already been taken.

It looks like that is just a standard mouse with no special features so there is no need for a special driver.