Computer starts like an old car engine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer starts like an old car engine

Computer starts like an old car engine

Ever since a power failure a few months ago, when ever there's a power failure (the only time my computer is off, in other words, whenever the computer is turned off for more than a few minutes), when I try to start it it's like starting an old car, let me explain:

If I press the power button the fans will spin for a second and stop, I have to hold the power button in and it'll actually start like an old car engine, as I hold the button the computer fans will go "rrr.....rrr.....rrr.....rrrr.....rrrr" and often I'll have to let go of the power button and press again and eventually it'll start "rrrr....rrrr....rrrr....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr".

What could be causing this? I assume it's either the PSU or motherboard.

Has anyone seen this type of problem before?

Other than that the computer runs flawlessly once it's started, but there certainly is a problem somewhere that I'd like to fix before it possibly gets worst.

You may recall I posted about my computer making a strange high pitched sound for a few weeks a few months ago, but that sound has stopped, but I assume it could be related to this new strange problem.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; September 24th, 2006 at 05:42 PM.
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

I also wanted to add, this may be a coincidence, but this seems to have started when I got a UPS for the computer, but the power failure was at the same time I got the UPS, so I don't know if any of those 2 things are related or just coincidence.
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Could be just a dirty fan or the bearings are going on the noise side of things

The power button is a momentary switch so holding the button in does not make sense - either the pins are not being correctly shorted - in which case the switch is not functioning correctly or as you say the PSU is causing issues.

I would grab a spare psu and test that first (and blow the fans out while you are in there). If it's still a problem, have a look at the switch.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This is a pretty new computer and the fans all run fine, there's no abnormal noise, when I was describing the noise I meant at first it's like the computer goes on and off every fraction of a second and then finally boots.

I know the power switch is a momentary switch, but if I just press it as you normally do, the computer won't start, I really need to hold the power button in and then it'll go on/off/on/off like 3 times per second and then finally go and stay on.

I'll test it with another PSU and see if it helps.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    What does it do if you don't use the Uninterruptible Power Supply?

Have you tried another wall plug outlet?

Have you tried it with the modem physically removed from the computer?

Sometimes power surges effect the modem too.
    Last edited by street1; September 24th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

What does the modem have to do with this? I have a cable modem connected by ethernet.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Can you remove the ethernet card from the computer ?Sorry I only mentioned (modem).

It's built into the motherboard, I still don't see how the ethernet card could be the slightest bit related to the problem I'm having??? Are you sure you read my posts correctly? That's like saying check your video card if the sound isn't working.

Power failures are accompanied by power surges, either before or after, and that affects anything that can carry voltage in to your computer..and can affect the slots that cards sit in or the cards themselves in such a way that the card can cause a short in the computer. (oh..btw..I Have seen video cards cause audio problems in a couple of ways.) Troubleshooting is troubleshooting.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Modems and ethernet cards are usually the first to play up in any power surge....

Street also asked what happens when you have the UPS disconnected. That is the first thing I should have said... good catch street.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yessir! Here in the TX Panhandle we get lots of thunderstorms, and I would say, given that most folks have surge suppressors (or UPS's) on their powerlines, it is very common to see lightning strikes or power surges come into a system on an unprotected phone line or network adapter.

So, Click, troubleshooting is troubleshooting, and you should pull all expansion cards as a first step.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    It's built into the motherboard, I still don't see how the ethernet card could be the slightest bit related to the problem I'm having??? Are you sure you read my posts correctly? That's like saying check your video card if the sound isn't working.
    Honestly mate, these people are trying to help you and you're acting like you know better. If you're not willing to at least TRY the suggestions given then why ask in the first place? I blame Norton.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

I would also do what was posted earlier...try using those compressed air cans to clean the fans inside your computer. Your fans have probably accumulated a lot of dirt and lint and just need to be cleaned so that they can properly exhaust or bring in air.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Honestly mate, these people are trying to help you and you're acting like you know better. If you're not willing to at least TRY the suggestions given then why ask in the first place? I blame Norton.
    As I said it's a built in ethernet, so I can't remove it.

And I do know more about the problem because I'm the one experiencing it, and it is hard to describe well and I noticed some didn't seem to understand what the problem was exactly.

Well ill assume you tested it with a new Power Supply like you posted a bit ago and it must not have helped. Check the front panel connections and see if anything is funky with them. But everyone has been spot on with checking peripherals, i dont know how many times ive worked a a clients computer after a power surge and their NIC card,video card, sound card even has been causing issues with the board.
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper