AbleTerm Problems

Thread: AbleTerm Problems

AbleTerm Problems

Here's one I could use some help with! Our county government uses Tyler Technologies management software in all offices, but the auditor's office is starting to give me fits. Starting about 2 months ago, they began experiencing very frequent lockups in AbleTerm V 7.3.0.0 http://www.tyler-tsg.com/products/JUD/judxtras.htm

as well as disconnects. I found that the router was working intermittently, so it was replaced with a Linksys BEFSR81, and we had no further problems for a month or so, then the lockups and disconnects started to re-occur. This can happen even when the Internet connection is active and functioning correctly.

Today marks the first time that an AbleTerm lockup has ever generated an entry in Event Viewer, and it was Event ID 1000 in Module mfc42.dll. I verified that the version of mfc42.dll in the windows\system32 folder was V 6.2.4131.0, and renamed all other versions of the file I found in all computers in the office. Everything worked great for about 2 hours, then the disconnects and lockups resumed.

Tyler support insists there is a problem with the new router, even though I can play a game online while AbleTerm is disconnecting on a different computer. All machines in the auditor's office are effected. There are 3 different models of HP Pavlion desktop and 2 HP Pavilion notebooks involved, and the error does not repeat in other offices with similar equipment in the building. One of the laptops runs XP MC SP2, and the rest run XP Home SP2

This is really eating on me because AbleTerm is just a simple terminal emulator that Telnets to the county's server. No fancy stuff going on here! So, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

total shot in the dark,

but i had a sort of similiar prob with an emulator i didn't know the slightest about (i know nothing about emulators). i hadn't the slightest idea what was going on, and the emulator company had folded or bought a beach bar in Asia...
    but the router was an imported BEFSR series and Linksys support mentioned something about the series having no 'loopback' functions at all.i was even more lost. they said change the router, i tried a Netgear and prob went away.

i took payment, pats on the back from a bunch of ancient yacht club members and forgot about it till now.

doubt it helps, but hey...

Le Sheep

Thanks, Paris! The failing router I replaced was a Netgear, and it had troubles for some while before I changed it. The Linksys was just fine for a bit, so I think something else is going on. Help is always appreciated!

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Could this be a firmware update that is needed?Damn I hate firmware updates.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I'll try the frimware update. Oh, I should have also mentioned earlier that no machines in the office have any 3rd party firewall software running, and all computers have Windows Firewall disabled. AV software is NAV 2006 on 4 computers and TrendMicro PC-Cillin 2006 on the 5th.

does the router logs show any blocks, disconnected, invalid packets?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, NooNoo, the router logs look OK. But, the info they contain on this series of router isn't all that thorough. There were budget constraints on the level of hardware I could install.

Off topic rant:

Unfortunately, the county has no central purchasing scheme for hardware and computer services. This means that while I take care of the judges, the constables, the sherriff, the assessor/collector, and the auditor, I have a competitor who handles some services in other departments. Actually, he has built and still services 2 computers in the Assessor/Collectors office. What a mess!

In fact, about the only consistent thing the county has done is to license Tyler software for all departments. Well, I guess this really isn't a problem, it's an opportunity.

So this problem could be further up the line?

Just noticed, this is in tech tips... shifting it to tech to tech...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Oops! Meant to start it as Tech to Tech! Anyway, the problem could be with the connection to the server at Tyler Technologies gateway, but I can ping the server and get 100% returns in the 1-2 millisecond range consistently. Tracert shows that we connect to the server in two hops, and again, always in the 1-2 ms range.

So you are down to either the router or someone is fouling the connection... packet sniffer time?

Didn't mean to ignore you, Noo, just spent a couple of days on the road. Back to the auditor's office Monday or so. Thanks.

Is ok, I was out for 3 days as well and I did ignore everyone!