A co-worker brought an interesting problem to me. Using the Sonic "Backup my PC" add-on to Roxio 7, he dutifully created incremental backups. His system crashed this week due to HDD failure. Hdwe was replaced. Because so much of his hdwe was now different [no RAID this time, new mobo, new HDD's] he reinstalled all his software manually.

Now, he'd like to restore from the .qic file from his external HD, certain data folders to finish out his rebuild, from his .qic file called "Incremental Backups." This backup contained his entire system setup and data...not just selected data folders. Sonic's FAQ's and KB are almost useless.

I watched him attempt to restore files/folders to a new temp folder on his storage HDD, a third empty drive on his station. His worry is this. As he goes through the wizard, it appears to begin a full restore. He cancels, fearing that it will attempt to restore the whole system, and he only needs to restore parts of the backup. As he begins the restore app, it says it's reading the file, but he does not at that point see a folder choice available. Does he cancel too soon, and are his fears about a complete restore justified?

Never having used this software, is he doing this correctly? I don't know what to tell him. I have access to the backup software, but I don't want to start his backup restore on my machine either...I use Nero, and not Roxio apps for media work, and have never seen the bundled Sonic backup software in action, so my knowledge is nill.

If anyone has experience with this software, a few tips would be appreciated. It's been hell on him knowing that his data is there, but wondering how to get selected parts of it.

Thanks, Len.