PSU matters...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PSU matters...

PSU matters...

Hello.
    Just bought my new tourbo amd athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Bad news r that killed my psu, tagan420...
    So now I m looking for a good suitable new psu.

1. I have a major question. I have an AGPx8 card...so I think I need a seperate molex for that. But its hard to find such a psu (my x psu tagan420, had one). So, is it bad if i connect my agp card without a seperate molex but with one of a pair??

2. 3. What do u think of this psu? I think this is the one I ll buy(HEROICHI 550)
    http://www.directron.com/win550ub.html

Last edited by CCT; September 28th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

no time to read all this, I d appreciate if u answer in my specific questions.

What you are asking for is a direct product endorsement which would violate my personal code of ethics, all the lessons my mother ever taught me, the international laws on exporting secrets, and probably a number of other regulations.

So, sorry - I gave you the best advice I could.

Perhaps someone else here will accomodate you - I wish you well.

there is no difference between connecting a molex from a cable that has two molex connectors on it and connecting a molex that has one connector on it. The two molex sets are for convenience when connecting two drives that are close together, but if you have an extra..by all means use it. I have not used the psu you are looking at, but the specs look fine..and it has a 120 mm ball bearing cooling fan, which is good. If someone else here has personal information on the specific unit you are looking at, no doubt they will reply
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

do u know how many Whatts "eats" the 64 X2 4400+ ?

kolokythaki, this is what you need, it'll help you calculate how much power you need.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Take it as a rought estimate though.

I know this site.Not clear.

-What X2 4400 cpu should I choose? the one with 89W or the one with the 110W? (if its about VCore, with asus probe I see that I have 1.31-1.33).

-What should I put in the "cpu utilization", below cpu bar?

It would also help to know how many Hardrives you ar running, Disk drives and any peripherals you have becuase i could say that CP uses X amount of watts but that wont accountfor everything in your system. Most Power supplies devout 1/4 or so of the wattage to the power supply and motherboard. And off the top of my head i think the Athlon X2 uses about 80-90watts. And all power supplies have Molex connectors unless you built yours from sap and sticks. If the Video card needs a the mid-upper PSU's come with them and you can get a converter. And i asume when you say your PSU you was a tagan420 that means 420watts so id try a powersupply with 500+watts or maybe the tagan had an low rating on the 12V rail. But just for myself what lead you to believe it killed your PSU? doesnt turn on,machine wont boot?
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Quote Originally Posted by kolokythaki
    I know this site.Not clear.

-What X2 4400 cpu should I choose? the one with 89W or the one with the 110W? (if its about VCore, with asus probe I see that I have 1.31-1.33).

-What should I put in the "cpu utilization", below cpu bar?
    If in doubt, choose the higher wattage for the CPU - you are trying to get an estimate of power usage, if you use the lower one, it may recommend a slightly lower wattage psu.

TDP explanation Leave it at the default of 100% if you are not sure.

If you do not have the time to do the proper research, asking people to give you an answer without knowing your full rig and your application requirements is unfair. The power estimator link is the best anyone can do given the information you have posted so far.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

this...estimator says that my cpu needs 194W...Can this be true?

Which CPU do you have? Or was that the entire wattage requirement with all the hard disks are pci cards etc added in?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Seems u dont read the thread. I said several times that my cpu is A64 X2 4400+........
    If I believe that site(http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp), choose the biggest 4400 as u people told me(110W) and as CPU Utilization (TDP 2): 100% TDP, then I already have...263W !!

Seems you don't read my posts either. Just the processor is 132w or 108w depending on whether you choose the HE type or not.

Since your numbers didn't add up I queried which processor you entered and whether you added pci cards etc.

You chose to be rude instead. What exactly is your question?

I m not rude, that is what u see. I do read carefully all posts because my point is to solve my matters, not anything else.
    U havent read the thread if u ask me "which is your cpu" after all those times I wrote it. U also ask..."what is my question" (!!)
    Ok, if u want learn which is my question, why dont u read the thread, instead of insult me and waste our time? Its always a good idea read and understand a thread, then try answer it. Right mr No? (beware of Bond...)

Now, about that psu site, what is "HE" ?
    Did u visit that site? (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp) Says that the Watts for my cpu(Χ2 4400+) will be 89 or 110. Not your numbers( 132 or 108? where did u find them?)
    My other question was about "CPU Utilization (TDP 2)" (right down the cpu option) and what to choose for it.