Need Drivers for HL-DT-ST GDR18162B, or explanation

Thread: Need Drivers for HL-DT-ST GDR18162B, or explanation

Need Drivers for HL-DT-ST GDR18162B, or explanation

I recently bought the game Just Cause for PC and tried running it. However, my DVD-Drive, the above-mentioned HL-DT-ST GDR18162B, does not recognize the DVD. Double clicking on the drive gives me a "Insert a disk into the drive" type of error. I tried inserting the DVD into my DVD-RW Drive then, which is the _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A, but it got me the same result.

I checked to make sure it wasn't the disks fault by trying other systems, and the game worked on those! I then tried out using other DVDs in my drives to make sure my drives weren't broken. The result: All other DVDs I tried worked. Only the Just Cause DVD got no response on either drive.

I've tried looking for drivers or firmware for either one of these drives, but have so far been unsuccessful. If anyone could please give me a link to a download for any one of those drives I'd be very grateful. If not, could you try explaining why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Good chance you will find your answer, in part, here:

http://forums.windrivers.com/archive...p/t-71451.html

I've already looked at that thread after doing a search for a similar problem like mine, but I think the situation here is different. In that thread, the DVD-Drive didn't seem to work at all. Mine works almost perfectly, except that it doesn't seem to play this one particular DVD. I doubt some complex procedure like the one described in that thread would really be necessary, or would even fix anything. I could still try doing it, but not before I try the more obvious possible solutions.

The thing is, I don't know what those solutions might be. Once again: The DVD-Drive works, and is recognized by my Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It Plays all DVDs but this one.

Looking around I found this which may apply and can't hurt to try: disable temporarily any drive emulation software e.g Nero, which you have - there may be a conflict with a copy protection for the game and some disk emulation software installed and active on the system.

I have Alcohol 120% installed, so I'll try disabling that.
    Thanks for the suggestion.