my dvd drive will no longer read dvds
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my dvd drive will no longer read dvds

hi,
    i have a hp pavillion zv5000 notebook,recently my dvd-rw drive stopped reading dvds however it still writes to them.When i put in a dvd i click on d:// and it opens a window with nothing in it and at the top it just says cd-rom.i have run discinfo and it still says that it should read and write dvds.It definatly has the ability to,because i have done it before.The drive is :

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N

all help appreciated.
    regards,
    james

hi,
    i have a hp pavillion zv5000 notebook,recently my dvd-rw drive stopped reading dvds however it still writes to them.When i put in a dvd i click on d:// and it opens a window with nothing in it and at the top it just says cd-rom.i have run discinfo and it still says that it should read and write dvds.It definatly has the ability to,because i have done it before.
    On device manager under device type it says dvd-rw/cd-rw .
    The drive is :

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N
    Any suggestions,i am desperate?

all help appreciated.
    regards,
    james

Welcome to Windrivers jcoxy4 - no need to put up two threads, if you want to edit what your wrote, click the edit button or you can reply to your own post to add information.

What do you use for burning?
    Which dvds have you tried to read? Burned ones? Shop bought? Films?
    What dvd playing software do you have?
    What windows are you running?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hi noo,noo,
    i use record now which came with the computer,i have tried to read dvd's that i burned on my computer and one's that were given to me.I have not tried films but i will do and i will tell you the outcome.I use windows xp and have interwin dvd,media player or quicktime.

hi,
    i have tried a dvd film(peter kay at bolton albert halls) and my drive can read this.It seems like it is just data dvds it will not read.

ok you may have a problem with the aspi layer details here but more likely a udf problem

record now's udf reader is here at the bottom of the page... also other updates for record now. Give it a go.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hi,
    thanks it is a udf problem i downloaded cdroller and installed it i inserted a dvd and it was read instantly.however i would need to purchase the software to extract the files to somewhere else.Is there no freeware or windows udf reader i can download to fix this...

thanks for the help so far

hi, when i use a udf and iso readeri can read the dvds but as they are trials i cannot extract the files to a folder.I think the problem might lie in the format of the drive.My dvd drive format is CDFS.Is this normal or should it be a different format....if so how do i convert it ??
    all help appreciated !!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoxy4
    hi,
    thanks it is a udf problem i downloaded cdroller and installed it i inserted a dvd and it was read instantly.however i would need to purchase the software to extract the files to somewhere else.Is there no freeware or windows udf reader i can download to fix this...

thanks for the help so far
    The record now udf reader should be free..?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoxy4
    hi, when i use a udf and iso readeri can read the dvds but as they are trials i cannot extract the files to a folder.I think the problem might lie in the format of the drive.My dvd drive format is CDFS.Is this normal or should it be a different format....if so how do i convert it ??
    all help appreciated !!
    err you are trying to read mounted isos? isobuster

CDFS - compact disk file system. Are you using packet writing software?

the dvd discs i am trying to read are iso/joilet and my dvd drive file system is cdfs and will not read iso/joilet.A udf/iso reader will but they are only trials and will not extract the folders.
    Is there any way of converting my dvd file system,because it cannot of always been cdfs because i used to be able to read these dvds
    p.s the record now udf reader wont download.you need to submit your registration details,which i have done and it says an email download code has been sent.however i have not yet recieved one....

p.p.s my issue is not so much with writing dvds but with reading them.....

all help appreciated.?

check your junkmail box.... the download is free for registered users.

The file system depends on how the dvd was made.... the dvd hardware does not impose the filesystem - the burning software does.

i am registered and i have checked my junk email...it doesnt seem to be there

did you try isobuster yet?

Have signed up and am waiting for the email too.