Desperate, please help.

Thread: Desperate, please help.

Unhappy Desperate, please help.

I have a 60g removable hd that started to make noise yesterday and I noticed then that my computer was not recognizing the drive. I want to get the data off of the hd, but don't know what I should do. I have done some reading and "RecoverMyFiles" is supposed to do the trick, but I want to know how the program can retrieve the data if my computer does not recognize it. It's just making a loud whirring noise, like a processor fan with too much dust, no knocking. Oh and the green light won't come on, but I know it's on because of the disc skipping noise. Will the program work or should I try something else. I would appreciate any help, my baby's pictures are all on the removable hd.

try doing a search for data recovery software on google.

If all else fails, you might have to go to a data recovery house to recover your files. It can be costly depending on how far bad the drive has gone or if the files aren't recoverable.

Welcome to WinDrivers: sorry your first post is about such a bad piece of luck.

Is that 'removable' hard drive an external USB type and if so is it in an enclosure or is it a 'sealed' type unit?

In other words, make/model/brand info would help.

Welcome to WD.

There is the old freezer trick that can work sometimes.
    It so depend what is the real problem. More info would be helpfull.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...hlight=freezer
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

Sorry, it's a removable hard drive w/ fire wire, usb combo. Someone suggested that I get a new external enclosure. What do you think ? And trying to recover files seems futile since the "my computer" does not pick up the removable drive or am I wrong ? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by robnjessmom
    Sorry, it's a removable hard drive w/ fire wire, usb combo. Someone suggested that I get a new external enclosure. What do you think ? And trying to recover files seems futile since the "my computer" does not pick up the removable drive or am I wrong ? Thanks again.
    OK.

First, the "sound" makes me think the probl is the disk itself, not the enclosure.
    If u have access to another enclosure, go ahead, but I dont think it will do anything other than prove the problm is with the drive...

Sec, you R right, if the drive is not even seen by the os, no recovery software will do the job.

So if it is the drive, just b4 sending it to a recovery $hop, I would try the freezer.

Good luck.

Other views please ?
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

Get pcinspector it may be able to see the drive

Plug it directly to the ide and make it an internal drive. Does the bios see the drive? If so it might be worth getting spinrite takes forever, but if it's recoverable spinrite will get it.

In the future, please please make two copies of data that's important to you in addition to the working copy!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Resolved

Thanks so much for all the input, but I have solved the problem. We connected the drive to my pc and the computer picked it up as a master drive, so I knew my info was still intact. So I bought the external enclosure and voila, hard drive recognized. Thanks again guys.

We are all pleased that you got lucky !

To repeat Noo Noo's suggestion:

"In the future, please please make two copies of data that's important to you in addition to the working copy!"

I'm guessing there was a fan in the old enclosure which was making the noise?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Oh yeah, did that already. It's just that I guess i didn't think to have a back up for my back up, where does it end ? But two hard disks from now on. Thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by robnjessmom
    Oh yeah, did that already. It's just that I guess i didn't think to have a back up for my back up, where does it end ? But two hard disks from now on. Thnx.
    I was thinking more of a library system on CD or DVD... it is said that there are two absolutes in life - death and taxes... but I and my customers know from experience that there is a third - your hard drives will die.