Usb Devices Seen By Device Manager But Not My Computer

Thread: Usb Devices Seen By Device Manager But Not My Computer

Usb Devices Seen By Device Manager But Not My Computer

past couple of days some of my usb devices are not showing up in "my computer" even though i can see them in device manager as working properly. There are other usb drives that are recognized and working fine, however i have a couple that work fine in other systems but wont be assigned a drive letter on this system. this is something that started recently and was working fine in the past. i manually populated the drives in DM but no luck. any suggestions, thanks

Welcome to Windrivers Nyx
    How many devices are you talking about?
    What sort?
    What operating system?
    Do you use the "safely remove hardware" icon in systray?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OS=XP pro sp2
    I have tried a couple of sandisk thumbdrives, a usb maxtor hd but no luck. they show up in dev manager but are not assigned drive letters in "my computer" when the dell monitors usb is connected it connects fine, same with other usb hard drives i have. the devices that dont connect properly work fine in other systems. I do use sys tray most of time to remove devices, certainly all hd devices, most of the time for thumbdrives.

Have you mapped any drive letters recently so that you can access a network drive?

see if this helps
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 5th, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

downloaded USBDLM and now xp will assign usb device to drive letter B which was not being used. all letters a thru z (except B) were assigned. perhaps i ran out of alphabet since a-z was already assigned to drives, partitions, usb drives etc. will xp assign letters past z? perhaps AA: thanks for your help!

There cannot be any drive letters past Z as far as I know. The USBDLM allows you to assign a drive letter to a particular usb port - that may be better for you - everything you plug into a particular port keeps the same drive letter.... now you do know that you can only have 127 usb devices don't you?

Ya Ya For Noo Noo...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NYX
    past couple of days some of my usb devices are not showing up in "my computer" even though i can see them in device manager as working properly. There are other usb drives that are recognized and working fine, however i have a couple that work fine in other systems but wont be assigned a drive letter on this system. this is something that started recently and was working fine in the past. i manually populated the drives in DM but no luck. any suggestions, thanks
    m open to suggestions to, cos i formatted a system to win2k btut all drivers are functioning well except d usb...im not sure wot to do............

smartdrv, you need to have service pack 4 loaded and the chipset drivers.