M/B=cpu/chassis/power fan ports
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: M/B=cpu/chassis/power fan ports

M/B=cpu/chassis/power fan ports

My mobo(a8v deluxe, s939), as usuall, has 3 fan ports. Cpu, Power, Chassis.

1. Does the cool&quiet technology works only in the cpu port?

2. I think I can adjust the rpm of the chassis fan, because I see in bios that theres setting for 11/15 to 15/15...right? So, is it good idea to connect there the fan of my vga card(6600gt). I already did it. I also have the option to connect it right on the psu (option for 5V-silent and 12V-normal) Or I should choose the power port (is this port for standard rpm?)

3. I also want to connect a 90mm case fan. Which port should I choose? power or chassis? or psu direckly?

page 2-10 and page 2-26 and 4-20 and 4-33 and 5-34

about cool n quiet technology

If you want to be able to monitor the case fan, then it must be connected to the chassis fan connector. If you connect it to the psu directly, the bios cannot monitor it.

So you are saying you have unplugged the fan from the 6800gt and plugged it into the chassis fan connector of the motherboard? Have you checked that the fan on the 6800gt meets the requirements for a fan connected to the motherboard? (page 2-26 of the manual)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Its not necessary to give me links. I prefer a straight answer to my questions because I ll open my pc in a minute and I need know where to connect what.

I have mobo's manual...Doesnt help in what i ask.

I can be able monitor case fan in both ports (power, chassis) through SpeedFan. I know that i cant in psu port. I m not asking for this.

I have replaced 6600gt' s factory fan with another one which has 3-pins and cannot be connected onto card. So dont worry for this.

Well I have answered questions 2 and 3, which just leaves the first question...
    From the coolnquiet technology link

In the past, increased processor performance has often meant increased power consumption and increased noise levels. AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet™ technology is an innovative solution available on AMD AthlonTM 64 processor-based systems that can effectively lower the power consumption and enable a quieter-running system while delivering performance on demand, for the ultimate computing experience.
    The premise behind AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet technology is a very simple one. Some applications require less processing power than others. Word processing, for example, consumes relatively few processor cycles, but if you run games, video editing or other multimedia applications on the same system, more processor cycles will be required for responsive performance. AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet™ technology controls your system’s level of processor performance automatically, dynamically adjusting the operating frequency and voltage up to 30 times per second, according to the task at hand. When an application does not require full performance, significant amounts of power can be saved. However, the processor can respond to increased workloads, allowing the system to deliver a responsive and rewarding computing experience. The only difference the user will observe with most applications is that the system will run cooler and quieter. Performance is designed to still be responsive, with maximum processor performance being delivered when required, and automatic power savings when possible.
    Looking at your question, I don't think you understand exactly what cool n quiet does. It is not about controlling the fan (although fan control is an element of it). It is about stepping down the frequency of the processor. The above paragraph explains it.

If you are interested in using this technology the instructions are here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I know practically what cool and quiet does, dont worry for this.
    Unfortunately I see that u avoid answer direckly in my questions.
    When did u answer in 2 and 3 ??!!
    If u do know what cool and quiet does, why dont u just give a simple answer for 1 ?

This answered 3
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo

If you want to be able to monitor the case fan, then it must be connected to the chassis fan connector. If you connect it to the psu directly, the bios cannot monitor it.

In answer to 2, I asked a question to which you replied
    I have replaced 6600gt' s factory fan with another one which has 3-pins and cannot be connected onto card. So dont worry for this.
    The answer to question 2 is the same as for question 3. If you want to monitor the fan, then connect it to a fan connector. If you connect it to the psu directly, the bios cannot monitor it. Which fan connector you choose is up to you.

There is no simple answer to question 1 because it's not about the fans. If you understood what coolnquiet is, you would not have posed the question you did.

I have not avoided your questions at all, I have requested more information so that you can have the correct answer. If you find the process difficult, I suggest you take your computer to a qualified technician who will set it up for you and you won't have to think about it at all.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 7th, 2006 at 07:53 AM.

- My 3rd question was not about...how monitoring case fan. I know this. I ll repeat it:
    3. I also want to connect a 90mm case fan. Which port should I choose? power or chassis? or psu direckly?

- Same for 2nd. After I explained that i connect vga's fan in the mobo, I ask this

2.I think I can adjust the rpm of the chassis fan, because I see in bios that theres setting for 11/15 to 15/15...right? So, is it good idea to connect there the fan of my vga card(6600gt). I already did it. I also have the option to connect it right on the psu (option for 5V-silent and 12V-normal) Or I should choose the power port (is this port for standard rpm?)

- About 1rst: Forget about fan, delete that word from your brain. Just answer this

1.Does the cool&quiet technology works only in the cpu port?

Note: ok u didnt avoid my questions. U just didnt understand them.

The word used in the manual is connector - not port. Port is something else.

3. lemme see, this is a fan in the case, chassis is structure of the case, you attach a fan to the chassis of the case, so I think you should attach the fan to the chassis connector.... unless you want to plug something else into the chassis connector because you can regulate the fan speed as per page 4-34 of the manual - but this would be YOUR choice to do so.

2. Yes there are settings for the chassis fan. No it's not a good idea to plug your video card fan in there because you may allow it to run too slowly and that will let your card get too hot and then it will stop working. As for 5v or 12v directly from the psu - fans tend to be 12v. If you plug it into the 5v supply the fan will not go round and round as it should.... unless you have a special fan, but since you have not posted the details and told me not to worry about that I cannot tell for sure whether this is true or not.

1. The cool n quiet technology has nothing to do with the cpu fan or the cpu fan connector.... if you meant connector?
    The technology allows the processor to run slower when not needed so that it needs less cooling.

What do you think a cpu port is?
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 7th, 2006 at 09:29 AM.

ok, when I say port I mean also connector. Port=connector, I dont think theres any difference. From now on i ll say "connector" to avoid confusions.

1. We can see the results of the "cool&quiet technology" in the cpu connector(where we connect cpu's fan): if pc doesnt do something, cpu's fan calms down, less rmp->low noise, low temperature, energy saved. If pc works full(a 3D game or video editing) then we see more rpm to manage the high temp.
    So the question is if all this job works only in the cpu connector, or as well in other 2 connectors too(power,chassis)...

The cpu fan works more slowly when the cpu works more slowly. The cool n quiet technology makes the cpu work more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by kolokythaki
    ok, when I say port I mean also connector. Port=connector, I dont think theres any difference. From now on i ll say "connector" to avoid confusions.

1. We can see the results of the "cool&quiet technology" in the cpu connector(where we connect cpu's fan): if pc doesnt do something, cpu's fan calms down, less rmp->low noise, low temperature, energy saved. If pc works full(a 3D game or video editing) then we see more rpm to manage the high temp.
    So the question is if all this job works only in the cpu connector, or as well in other 2 connectors too(power,chassis)...
    Yes..it only works for the CPU and chassis..not for the power..and the reason the fan slows down is because the cool and quiet technology is allowing the CPU to run slower, thus needing less cooling..as the CPU temp rises, the fan speed rises as well. There are no other thermistors on this board to supply the same feature to any other fan controller. and bythe way..that answer is on page 1-4 of the link NooNoo gave you and of your manual, which you say is no help.
    (sorry Noo..musta posted at the same time)
    Last edited by geoscomp; October 7th, 2006 at 12:13 PM.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

The Asus Q-fan technology will slow the cpu fan down as the cpu temp drops AND the C&Q technology slows the cpu down (so to speak) as the cpu use decreases, thus both work together to decrease noise and increase power efficiency.

That is my understanding of it.

NooNoo,
    what u said is what i said too...we agree.

geoscomp,
    r u 100% sure that cool and quiet works also in chassis connector? Do u "sign" it? So why not connect cpu's fan in there?!
    The rest of theory u wrote is well known to me. I have manual but doesnt say anything about my points. Not a word about!

cct,
    what u wrote is not what i m asking for..so i guess u write them just to inform our readers
    Last edited by kolokythaki; October 7th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.

Geoscomp said the answer is on page 1-4 of the manual. The chassis fan connector is part of the q-fan 2 technology. It will slow the chassis fan down if the heat is less. The heat will be less if the quiet n cool software has slowed the processor down.
    The quiet n cool does NOT control the fans, the fans react to the temperature inside and are controlled by q-fan 2.

Perhaps if we understood why you want to know this, then we could teach you what you need to know.

r u 100% sure that cool and quiet works also in chasss connector? Do u "sign" it?
    Do I sign it? I suppose you mean do I guarantee it..well, I didn't write the owners manual, and I didn't design or build the board..but if you would look at the link that NooNoo posted, and go to section1-4, it says this: (a direct quote from Asus)
    Asus Q-Fan2 Technology
    The Asus Q-Fan2 smartly adjusts the CPU and chassis fan speeds according to system load and temperature to ensure quiet, cool, and efficient operation.
    The bold type emphasis is mine. If you have a manual that doesn't have that listed, then perhaps you should download the pdf version from the manufacturer. You can choose to believe the board manufacturer or not..but the answer is right there in that statement.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."