UPS triggers computer shut down on short power losses

Thread: UPS triggers computer shut down on short power losses

UPS triggers computer shut down on short power losses

I have Windows set to put the PC in hibernation when the UPS battery reaches 35%, but a simple half second power fluctuation triggers the hibernation, what could be casusing this? The battery is at 100%.

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Clickhere, you have 1803 posts - you know full well that without details of the setup, the os, the hardware only generic advice can be given.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    NooNoo LOL,You are a born leader.

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9276474,00.htm
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

I have win xp pro, APC UPS ES 500, what else do you need to know?

It's happened again, it's noe 3 or 4 times that the UPS caused me to LOSE data, I'd have been much better off without it at all, because all it's done so far is SIMULATE power failures rather than "mask" them. It's quite ironic that it has only caused problems.

Anyway, I've completely disconnected the data line now so it won't be able to tell the computer to turn itself off for no reason at all.

I tested it thouroughly after installing it, unplugging it to make sure it ran the batteries down to 35% and then started to shut down, but of course once it happens in real life it does the exact opposite, it triggers the PC to shut down when there's no power failure at all, just a slight power fulctuation. The battery lasts at least 5 minutes before reaching 35%, so it's not a 0.1 second power fluctuation that's running it down.

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

For what it is worth, I have an APC Back-Ups XS800 and I removed the APC software because of conflicts and use the built-in XP Pro UPS settings.

I'm also using the windows built in ups software.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Can you try connecting it to another system to isolate whether this is a problem with the UPS or your PC? Perhaps the UPS is not reporting battery status correctly to the PC - connecting it to a different PC with a different cable and reproducing the results would pretty much confirm that.

Also, with as much headaches as you've had in the past from not backing up your data, I'm surprised you've lost data 3 or 4 times again. You really need to get a better plan in place for protecting your data.

Good luck either way!

This write-up covers Power Management very well (applies equally to desktops as far as I can tell):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx
    Last edited by CCT; October 25th, 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sp

Apc

Click,

You don't say how old the APC unit is - I've had issues in the past where the battery needed to be replaced (age & repeated depletion). Every little power fluctuation caused a shutdown to be transmitted.

I've seen this happen on all kinds of sizes of APC UPS...
    Do all the good you can, whenever you can, for whomever you can...

The OP said he had at least 5 minutes on the battery when he did a test - thus, it isn't the battery I don't think.

I would have suspected timer and action settings for low and critical battery state in Windows power management myself, but since he tested it, I just don't know what the problem could be/have been.