connecting computers

Thread: connecting computers

connecting computers

Hi,

I'm running a simple home network and notice that when I hit RUN and enter the ip address of one of my computers like \\192.168.1.103 I am able to see the shared folders of that machine. However when I enter the computer's name like tiger or \\tiger I'm told that the machine can't be found. Is there an easy way to resolve this problem. It's much easier for my kids to connect to a name as opposed to a number. Thanks.

Are your computers all in the same Workgroup?

Are you using a Router?

Are they all the same os?
    Can you see the machine names in network neighbourhood or my network places?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You can try setting netbios to enabled. To enable netbios in xp open network connections go to the properties of the NIC select internet protocol click advanced on the bottom right then select the wins tab and enable netbios over tcp/ip.

Since NetBIOS must be enabled for Windows File and Print Sharing, many basic exploits test to see if NetBIOS is enabled or test ports 136-139 for access. If these ports are unblocked, any shared directories on the computer will be accessible to the Internet.

If you have XP, check your firewall settings on each pc. If on, try turning them off. Also If that doesn't work make sure you have no netware clients installed for the network cards on any PC. That sounds weird but I had a simular instance the other day. The PC's saw each other but I could not access each other. I too received that the machine not found error.

so many questions!

yes, all computers except one are in the same workgroup, yes I am using a router (how else can you have a network?) and yes they are all running xp. Here are the problems:

between two computers in the same workgroup both computers can see the shared files of the other. When I try to use remote access it won't work.

between one of the workgroup computers and my office laptop which is on a domain I can see the work group files on the laptop but I can't see the laptop files on the workgroup computer. For obvious reasons I can't change the domain on the laptop even though the laptop can not connect to the domain.

That part really confuses me. What's going on with a office laptop that is set to a domain but is then taken out and it connects to a home network.

I have been successful with remote access when I vpn to the office and thought it would be nice to remote access between home computers.

I'm running two linksys routers, a wired router and a wireless router. the wireless (i am told) is operating like a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by rss
    all computers except one
    Why's that one disconnected?

OK, have you allowed for port forwarding for remote access on the router? Port 3389 is generally used for remote desktop... but it depends what you are using

When you access your home network you are actually accessing the router which then passes along the requests to the relevant computer.

Oh and you can have a network without a router... lots of ways of networking are possible, just the easiest way for a home network is to buy a domestic router.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

port forwarding?

I haven't done anything with the routers. I am able to use remote desktop when I vpn between my home and office. However when I try to remote desktop between two machines on my home network it won't connect. It's weird because I can see shared files between the two computers. No problem with pinging the 192.168...address.

I looked at the router and and remote desktop and don't see anything that explains what to do with the router,

There's got to be an easy way of setting up a home network and being able to run remote desktop

because the router is blocking the port. Your VPN works because your router at work understands VPN. Remote desktop is a different thing altogether

great by how do I fix the router

shouldn't their be directions or something with remote desktop, I mean shouldn't it tell you what ports to forward. I'm just not sure what I need to do to ht e router

more information here It being who? Remote desktop assumes nothing is in the way of a connection like a router or a firewall.

Do you have a firewall running on the machine your trying to access?If so either adjust their settings or shut the firewalls off and test connection again.
    If your using windows firewall make sure it has an exceptoion set for remote desktop.
    Have you turned on remote desktop on the other machine?
    Normally inside the router (computers in your home network that are connected to the router physically or wireless)you should not have to port forward any ports for remote desktop.