P5W DH and wireless laptop - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P5W DH and wireless laptop

NOO NOO, thanks very much for your patiance, I have got it going now, not sure what I did but it works
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Hey do you have ANY idea what you did to get it to work? I am having this exact problem.

This is a repost of what I have been posting on another forum to solve me problem...but it has been no help. Hopefully someone here can help if you cannot.

Can't Create Wireless Network...

"Ok this is my problem...I have a LAN hooked to my PC with full internet and everything and I have just now enabled my ASUS Wi-Fi Solo Adapter on my P5W DH motherboard. I went through all the steps in the installation guide and set up a WEP secured Access Point. It connects just fine on the P5W DH computer but my problem is NOTHING else wants to get connectivity from my wireless network ... laptops ... nothing. It recognizes that there IS a network and attempts to connect but "connects" with "limited or no connectivity" and the internet does not connect. I have been reading over forums for hours trying to find a solution and no help. I thought perhaps at first because it assigns the default IP of 192.168.0.1 to the Wifi adapter that it conflicted with my LAN router which also was 192.168.0.1 so I assigned a different IP to my Wifi and it still did not fix the problem...

Can anyone help me????"

"Does the laptop have the correct WEP key that you entered?"

"Yes, I entered the same WEP key in both boxes (normal and confirmation) boxes. It will connect to the network but it displays that it has "limited or no connectivity" and it says the reason for this is because the network did not assign it an IP address?"

"I know nothing of the Asus wireless but something on the network HAS to give out IP's to PC's trying to connect to the network... Don't know of how the Asus system planned on doing this or if they expect the ISP to assign any new IP's needed.

I would expect it to be covered in the manual though."

"Unfortunately the manual does not have a troubleshooting section it only provides the information to set up your computer as an access point, ad-hoc or intrastructure. Intially when installed it assigns the IP of 192.168.0.1 to the access point...but by doing this it blocks my LAN access on the computer because the LAN router has the IP of 192.168.0.1 as well so I had to rename the wireless network adapter as 192.168.0.12 that way I can still be connected to both networks. Did I do the right thing here? For my wireless network adaptor I assigned the following:

IP: 192.168.0.12
    SUB: 255.255.255.0
    Def Gate: 192.168.0.2 (this is the IP address my computer)
    DNS: 192.168.0.2

My computer has the following:
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    SUB: 255.255.255.0
    Def Gate: 192.168.0.1 (IP of the LAN router)
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

My logic was that since my computer was to become the access point for the wireless network that it would also become the default gateway. The laptop is a work laptop that will only allow IP/TCP information to be assigned automatically. I do not have access to change this information manually. Ipconfig commands only display: 0.0.0.0 as the IP.

It is strange because I am able to connect to OPEN wireless networks in the area with the same laptop. Somehow it works for them and when I redo by wifi network to be OPEN it still does not connect. So I do not think the problem is the security but something else.

Any ideas??? Thank you so much for your help so far."

Anyone on here have any ideas?

Welcome to Windrivers Innis

The default gateway is the route to the internet and the dhcp server. Is the router and the access point working as a dhcp server? You can only have one... make it the router rather than the access point.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."