USB2.0 MFP(Hi Speed) - Help
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB2.0 MFP(Hi Speed) - Help

USB2.0 MFP(Hi Speed) - Help

Hi, i've just bought a new printer, an Epson R340 Multifunction Printer. When i try to install the printer the 'Found New Hardware Wizard' tries to install a 'USB2.0 MFP(Hi Speed)', but i don't have, and i can't find a driver for this.
    I am running Windows XP SP2. i have USB 2.0 (VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller according to my Device Manager). My Old Epson printer worked fine.
    P.S. please explain your answers as if i was a child, because i'm not technologically gifted.
    TIA

The users' install guide is fairly straightforward - make sure the printer is 'OFF', connect cable to USB port and printer, insert CD, start the Easy Install and follow instructions.

Where are you having the problem?

edit: ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/...son26694eu.pdf

same guide
    Last edited by CCT; November 8th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I followed the installation instructions to the letter, but during the installation it says, 'now switch on printer'.....'trying to connect', but was unable to do so. So i stopped and re-booted and got the 'USB2.0 MFT (Hi Speed)' driver request. i have tried completely uninstalling the printer and all previous printers as well, but it's no happening.

First, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port. If the USB 2.0 is an add-on card, you may have both 1.1 and 2.0 .

Then, assuming you have removed the printer install software using add-remove programs, try going through the process again - IF you get the problem connecting, write down exactly what message(s) you get and let us know.

At that point, you might also wanna look in device manager (start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager) and look in either 'printers' or 'other devices' for any 'yellow-exclamation-marked' items, right click them and look at properties for the eror code and brief explanation and report those as well.

EDIT: if you go here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=58654762

and then goto the 'troubleshooting guide' page and click the 'installing software' entry you will link to another page where you click 'printer software installation never finished' and then link to operating system page and then click 'how to reinstall the software' get the proper method on how to uninstall and re-install.
    Last edited by CCT; November 8th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.

here goes;
    Yes it's definitely a USB 2.0 port via a PCI Add-on Card (have tried all ports on computer just in case before i came on this site)

When installing the program says connect USB lead and switch on computer...communicating with the computer.Please wait for 2 minutes.
    At this point the 'Found new hardware wizard' kicks in trying to install USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
    Next message from installer says 'The product cannot be recognized, check the problem solver to find the solution to the problem and then click retry'

I looked in the device manager and there is a yellow Question Mark over 'other devices'-'USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)'. So...properties show a diamond emblem? then;
    USB2.0 MFP(High-Speed)
    Device Type: other devices
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    The device is not configured correctly (code 1)
    To reinstall drivers for this device click reinstall driver

On the details Tab, under 'device instance id' it shows;
    USB\VID_04B8&PID_081E\L09P20611042303070

Thanks

Try my editted advice above:

Hi, thanks for your patience. Have gone through exactly what the epson site you sent me to said. It's still asking me for this 'USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)' and won't finish installation.

So it asks for drivers for the device BUT when you tell it to get them from the cd it can't find any? Or does it even ask?

The installation cd just says 'the product cannot be recognized' and won't connect to the printer.

the 'new hardware wizard' is asking for a driver on a disc if i have it or 'browse' to location, but i don't have it on the disc.

I'm thinking this is some sort of conflict between my Multi-Function Printer (MFP?) and either my version of XP or my actual PC not the installation software. I may be wrong. I know there was apparently some sort of update to do with USB2.0 on XP SP1, but i went straight to SP2 because i presumed it would incorporate SP1 updates.

SP2 does incorporate the SP1 usb fixes

Epson printers are a PITA when they don 't install right... you have to unpick them by hand.

Start by going into safe mode and add/remove programs - remove any and all epson software (don't forget that ink monitor). Then uninstall the scanner and printer drivers that exist in the device manager.

Reboot to normal mode. Install the drivers on the CD but do NOT connect the printer until asked to do so. When you do, plug in the usb, then the power - the printer should come on, self test for a bit and then set itself on line. If it still doesn't install, then get on to Epson, it could indicate a fault and since this is a new unit, you don't want to void the warranty by tinkering.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try this - uninstall the printer per the Epson site directions.

Shut down, connect the printer and start up - when Windoze says it found new hardware 2 things may happen -

it installs software automatically,

or

it says if you have a manufaturers' disk, insert it

If the 2nd occurs, put your disk in and see what happens.

CCT that method is what causes the driver installation problem in the first place.

Golden rule of USB device installation - Drivers first, then the device is plugged in (preferably after a reboot or when the software requests the device).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, but when that doesn't work what does it matter?

It matters because as I explained, the driver files have to be removed before successful installation can be attained.

The XP driver is on this page - perhaps the disk you got is bad - ?

Anyway, after removing the previous software from add/remove and keeping the printer disconnected, you can try downloading and installing the Epson driver at that link.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...ndows&x=20&y=6