PC will not post

Thread: PC will not post

PC will not post

HEy all. Got my Dad's emachine with me as it stopped working. It is a T1842. He said when he got up this morning the PC light was blinking on the front and would not boot at all. He left it alone. A little while later, he noticed a little smoke coming from the box so he unpluged it. I replaced the PSU with a new one and it shows power now, PSU fan works, cpu fan works, but thats it. No power to any of the drives at all. Front panel HDD Led stays solid. My gut feeling is when the PSU went bad, it took the mobo or cpu with it. I bought a standard ATX PSU as the one inside the case looked pretty generic. I don't think it is a proprietary PSU specifically for emachines. Could be wrong though. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Put your fingers carefully on the heatsink for the CPU... does it get warm? If not the cpu is most likely toast.. If it does, the motherboard is probably toast... remember the word probably... It still could be either the mobo or the cpu.

Emachines I believe use standard atx psus, so you should be ok there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

With the HDD LED being solid disconnect the power and data cable from the drive and then turn it on and see if it posts. If it does it could be a bad hard drive as well.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

all the emachines I've dealt with ( and there has been alot ) the power supply is standard electrically but may be proprietary in size/shape.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I had a similar problem before with an e-machine PC. The PS died and took the motherboard and/or CPU with it. I was able to find a used mobo/cpu combo on ebay - and never troubleshot which part was the problem.

PC worked like a champ after it all...

Thanks for the responses. I powered the pc on for about 10 minutes, cpu never got even a tad warm. I will replace that first as they are pretty cheap on ebay. My suspiscions tell me that the mobo is shot too.....

If the PSU went, it's probably failed the board too. check the motherboard for buldging caps before going out and buying anything. Emachines IMO are cheaply constructed and the Mobo is usually first to do

Hope thathelps.