Returning printer: must be same printer in box?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Returning printer: must be same printer in box?

Returning printer: must be same printer in box?

I just got a new HP K550 because my current one was going through printheads very fast (I was getting 1,000 to 10,000 prints, they are rated to last over 41,000 prints), since the printheads aren't sold in stores (at leat not here), and I needed print jobs done, I bought a second one.

I may or may nt keep it, I wouldn't mind hainv 2 in case one fails again, but if I return it, could I send back my old one? Do they check? If my one one has a defect I'd much prefer to return the defective one and keep the new one.

So do they check the serial numbers of the box and printer to see if they match? If so, what if I "get caught", what will they do?

It seems this is a common problem on the K550, I hope my new one doesn't start failing also, but as I said in another thread, I may give up with HP, but I've yet to find any other manufacturer that makes a printer that meets my needs, the Ricoh business inkjets look great, but they use gel ink which does not seem to be available in refills (I never buy cartridges).

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Oh, what about returning my old printer in it's original box so the serial numbers match, would that work?
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

If they have any sense they'll check to see if the unit in the box corresponds with what it says on the outside, otherwise people could return boxes with bricks in them...

Whether the business records the serial number of each sale to prevent return of a different unit is up to them. They leave themselves open to fraud if they don't.

If they do and you're "caught" they have the choice what to do about it. Most likely they would at least decline to deal with you in future. If they only found out later and suffered financial loss due to being tricked into accepting return of an older, used or faulty machine instead of a barely used or unused one, I expect they could seek to prosecute you. I think "gaining an advantage by deception" is one legal term for such an action.

But consider how you would feel if someone tried to deal with you that way in a business transaction...

Both models are the same and both work, I don't even know if there is a defect with my other one, it would make no difference at all to them other than the serial numbers being different. I just feel safer keeping the newer model as it seems the first versions had flaws that were fixed in later models.

If someone did that to me I'd see no difference, because there isn't any other than the serial number, I assume they simply send it back to HP which will do whatever they do with returns, is that not how it works?

From my point of view, I don't see how it would make the slightest difference to them, they probably can't even notice a difference.

Anyway I don't know what I'll do yet, I may keep both to have one as a backup, or I may return one or the other, but this printer has got the most terrible reviews I've ever seen for a printer, so it really doesn't make me want to keep the new one, I just had some printing that had to be done.

Anyway, I know someone who abuses the hell out of extended warranties, he buys one $100 item like a camera or mp3 player, than every few months makes up a ficticious problem (such as a faint hissing sound that you can barely hear when no music is playing on his mp3 player, gee! what a terrible problem that is! or the batteries don't last long enough in the camera, how terrible! there aren't even real problems, the worst is he actually argues with them for hours to convince them to do the exchange) to get it excahnged for a better model, he repeats this several times until he has a $500 item out of his original $100 item, now that is plain fraud or extreme abuse to say the least, I would never bother to do such a thing, he is a cheap idiot anyway who can only think about money and himself.

If ever I do return my old printer instead, it would be the only time I did something like that, and really, there's no difference other than the serial number, they are both practically new.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; November 23rd, 2006 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    there's no difference other than the serial number, they are both practically new.
    Then there's no need to do it is there?

I know, I just have a better feeling about the new one because it's... well, newer.

Anyway I'll keep thinking about it, I have a month, but with the reviews the K550 got I really don't want to keep both unless I'm sure it won't run through printheads at the rate it does, but many reviews report the same problem. At first I was 100% sure it was my modification (I connected the tubes from the cartridges to half liter bottles of ink so I never need to change the cartridges), I thought it has sucked in air that damaged the head, but after reading so amny reviews of people using HP cartridges and getting the same problem I don't think my modification is the problem after all, my other HP officejet ran with that mod for 80,000 prints with no problem.

HP printers?

I have, for a number of years, used Lexmark printers with virtually no trouble. In fact, my wife is still using a lexmark 5700 printer which is about 8 years old. Still works fine. I had a Lexmark printer which had been used for print and photos for about 4 years and the print head mount got to the point that it would not recognise a print head when installed, due to the frequent print head changes. I discovered that lexmark printers are in short supply at the business stores. Probably due to the fact that they provide printers for Dell. I got, instead a HP 5940 printer from Circuit City. It made grinding and scraping sounds when used, though it did print. I returned it the same day and recieved another one. That one quit feeding paper about a week later. I communicated with HP and finally they agreed to send me a reconditioned one if I would return the defective one in the same box. This one, so far, is working ok. Not really happy with the u turn paper path used by HP. Not happy that it took 3 printers to get a reliable one. I think, next time, I will order direct from Lexmark. No more HP

The problem is I'm looking for a large volume printer (to print around 7000-10000 prints per month), I also need a printer with a built in ink pump for my continuous ink system to work, the HP business printers like the K550 are great, but the K550 seems to be having problems with printheads, I may get another HP business printer than the K550 if I still have problems, but the K550 is about their only current business printer, so I'd have to get an older model if I want another, unless I find another manufacturer that makes business inkjet printers to print high volume, the ricohs looked fine but they use gel ink which I cannot get refills for.

Well, I'll definately be returning the new one, after 771 prints it's already broken, the paper loading mecanism failed, it no longer picks up paper.

HP used to make such good printers, it's sad those days are gone, that's what happens when you put profits first, as every corporation has to do by law.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You are, and will probably always be a piece of human waste. You have demonstrated many times on this forum your total lack of respect for retailers. You always want to buy something, then after you have your use of it, you return it. You claim some form of defect, to get your refund.

I could quote a whole lot of posts, but everyone knows it's not necessary.

I think you should man up, and be like the rest of us. Buy it, use it, make your money, then buy another one. Quit being such a dork. Not everyone tries to get over. Charge your customers .02 a copy more. That would pay for your new printer, without trying to figure out how to screw over the place you bought it from.
    Sergeant WOTPP

This is the first time I return an item for a refund, you are now on my ignore list, I have better things to do than read your ridiculous insults, you're either confusing me with someone else or are making this up to amuse yourself, again, this is the first time I return an item for a refund. You are the human waste.

I give huge parts of my life to help others, I give thousands worth of things to others at my own cost just to help them, and you dare say I'm the waste? Anyone with half a brain will see who the true waste is. Many people have a much better and improved life because of the time I gave to help them. You will never do 1% as much good for humanity as I have and will continue to do. Don't bother replying to any of my posts.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; November 24th, 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You post this in tech to tech. Like you're a tech. You are not a computer tech. You have no idea. Put me on your ignore list. That's fine. I have almost 1800 posts that help people that need it. You can ignore me, but you can't ignore what you have posted.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I know much more than you ever will.

clickhere, while Mobile has been less than tactful, what he has said is true. Remember the printer with the lid you cracked and took it back as "faulty"? Remember the customer care you exhibited when you hadn't tested your software with an operating system and installer which the majority of people where still using?

You posted openly asking people to condone premeditated fraud. I suggest you read the AUP again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If someone did that to me I'd see no difference, because there isn't any other than the serial number, I assume they simply send it back to HP which will do whatever they do with returns, is that not how it works?
    That would depend on if you bought the printer from a large retailer, who might or might not get them from HP..If it is a smaller retailer and they return it to their supplier, the cost is about 20% of retail when you figure in back shipping, man hours, etc. That cost is charged to the retailer, and is a loss out of their pocket.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."