[RESOLVED] Web Design Pricing?!?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Web Design Pricing?!?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Web Design Pricing?!?

Hello.

I was in my insurance agent's office a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he wants to get a website for their business. He doesn't want anything too fancy - nothing Yahoo! Sitebuilder can't do. I told him that I can work on it and when I have something put together I will get back to him.

I am pretty much done with the design, all it is missing is a privacy policy, and all the information that needs to be inputed. The problem I have is that I have absolutely no idea how much to charge for doing this for him.

I suppose the only way to get anywhere close to an accurate price is for you guys to see it. I don't want this to look as a way for me to advertise a website. If anyone is interested to see it in order to give me an acurate advice, please post a reply saying that you want me to post the address ( hehe). I know this last paragraph may be a bit extreme, but I really respect the WinDrivers Community and I don't want to offend anyone.

Any help will be greately appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I will be checking this thread every couple of hours.
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

What do you usually charge per hour for any work? Or, what do you usually earn before tax per hour?

How many hours did it take you to create the site?

Have you thought about what you are going to do if he hates what you have done?

PM me the link for the site.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It took me about 6 hours to actually create what I had already planned. When you include the planning I would say another 3 hours. I didn't have to create any on the graphics, so that saved a lot of time - I just used the Yahoo!Sitebuilder's. Everything took me about 10 hours.

I am paying for the hosting right now, but that is not really relevant at the moment - not untill he says he wants it.

NooNoo, I am a little diversified worker, being still in college, hehe. At my regular job I kame $8/hour and when I am working with my dad (construction, home theatre hook ups, etc.) i usually get about $15/hour.

What would you say is the "industry standard" for this kind of work?

And to answer your last question. If he hates what I have done, I have at least shown him that I can do it, so if he has something in mind, then we can start working on that.

Thanks, NooNoo.

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

That's the problem... industry standard - there isn't one. I am currently helping someone who paid $5000 for a site that doesn't even work.

I would be inclined to charge around $300 which would include any tweaks (up to a bout 2 hours worth) that the customer wants... and then add the hosting and registration costs ontop of that... Oh and if you want more work like that, make sure you have a link to you as the designer and you need to put copyright on all the pages.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeah, I didn't think there was an industry standard. Yes, the copywrite is definately a must and I will include it, as well as the Privacy Policy as I mentioned before . Thanks for the idea to put a link to show me as the designer. I hadn't thought of that yet. I guess I might keep the hosting after all. By the way, he is not getting my URL, I like it too much hehe. Besides, he has his own.

Thanks again for all the help, NooNoo - you always help !

Happy Holidays!

-----------

My Pleasure

Yep..300 sounds about right. You may want to put a rider in about extra charges for editing later. There are some extrmemely expensive websites out there that are pretty laughable as far as actual hours spent, but you are right in the ballpark for hours spent. Want to see something funny? this site: http://www.mississippimelodie.com was quoted to the purchasing board as taking 200 hours already and another 300 for final development..at a cost of $5000 US dollars.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

It is possible to take them 300 hours geoscomp, if they wrote the whole thing in Notepad lol. Of course, they shouldn't be paid for being extremely inefficient.
    Last edited by peshek77; November 30th, 2006 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added the last sentence.

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by peshek77
    It is possible to take them 300 hours geoscomp, if they wrote the whole thing in Notepad lol. Of course, they shouldn't be paid for being extremely inefficient.
    If you are good at code, notepad is very efficient... but textpad highlights the tags nicely. Once you have done a few, you have chunks of code you can copy and paste in as an when. Editors that allow you to create a page without having to code are great for designers, but complex interactive websites need real programming!

I guess my point was 200 hours to create what I would have to describe as one of the worst sites I've seen so far..lets hope the next 300 hours results in something worth 5000 bucks. Actually, that organization came to me wondering just what there would take that much time and money
    Computer Rescue Service

If it's anything like my client, a "project manager" who did not control the process properly is where most of it went...

well..they aren't going to pay it I don't think..they came to us for a site and we put four sites together at around $700 each and they like all of them..online ticket sales and everything
    Computer Rescue Service

How about an access database with plain text passwords in the htdocs directory.....

I was thinking that, but they want to link inside a page to a different show production site that handles all the reserved sales, so we'll probably have to use their proprietary software.
    Computer Rescue Service

Sorry, I was pointing out a glaring security hole...anyone could download the entire database and see member details, passwords and payment options.