AVI File

Thread: AVI File

Question AVI File

I have a client with a CD containing some work AVI files. OS is 2000, when trying to play them, Windows Media player comes up but only plays the audio. If they put it in another PC (OS 2000) the video will play. Both PC's are using WM Version 9.0. What gives?
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

You are missing a codec.... which one is anyone's guess. gspot will tell you what the avi file needs
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Or you could just download and install anyone of a 1/2 dozen "codec packs"
    Nimo
    Klite
    Just to name a few
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Be careful downloading some of these codec packs, they are not always just codecs...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, I think the misbehaving Media Player install may be damaged, or some other media player may be causing a problem. For starters, I'd uninstall any other media players in the system, then re-install Windows Media Player, and make sure it's set to play the formats you want.

Some versions of Real Player, Music Match, WinAmp, etc. have been really reluctant to release file formats they've grabbed even after you have assigned the file type to another player.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Be careful downloading some of these codec packs, they are not always just codecs...
    Can you expand on this for me Noo Noo? Are some of them full of spyware etc? If so, then do you know what ones. I use ace mega codec pack, is that dodgy? Cheers
    Current Specs
    1*Asus Maximus Formula, Q6600, 4GB DDR2, BFG 8600 GTS OC2, Raptor 80Gb, XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit
    2*Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64X2 4200+, 2GB DDR, PX6800GT, Raptor 80Gb, 400Gb, 320Gb, 300Gb, XP Pro + Vista
    3*Asus K8V-MX, Sempron 3000+, 512Mb DDR, 80Gb Raptor, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    4*HP Pavillion, Athlon64 3400+, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 440 GO 64M, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...az/userbar.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    I have a client with a CD containing some work AVI files. OS is 2000, when trying to play them, Windows Media player comes up but only plays the audio. If they put it in another PC (OS 2000) the video will play. Both PC's are using WM Version 9.0. What gives?
    If you want to avoid codec packs, try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ it has its own codecs built-in.

According to Softpedia it is clean at the moment.

Softpedia guarantees that ACE Mega CoDecS Pack 6.03 is 100% FREE, which means it is a freeware product (both for personal and commercial use) that does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.

This software product was tested thoroughly and was found absolutely clean, therefore it can be installed with no concern by any computer user.However, it should be noted that this product will be retested periodically and the award may be withdrawn, so you should check back on this page from time to time.

Have done a uninstall and reinstall, repair, made sure there was no other media player installed. No Go, I am going to leave as is for now since they have another system to use and will wait for them to update to XP since 2000 is on it's way out. Thanks for all the help.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

did you use gspot to find out what codec was missing?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    According to Softpedia it is clean at the moment.
    Cheers
    Current Specs
    1*Asus Maximus Formula, Q6600, 4GB DDR2, BFG 8600 GTS OC2, Raptor 80Gb, XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit
    2*Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64X2 4200+, 2GB DDR, PX6800GT, Raptor 80Gb, 400Gb, 320Gb, 300Gb, XP Pro + Vista
    3*Asus K8V-MX, Sempron 3000+, 512Mb DDR, 80Gb Raptor, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    4*HP Pavillion, Athlon64 3400+, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 440 GO 64M, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...az/userbar.gif

HI all. This exactly what I am looking for and can't get fix. Can read any kind of video file...mpeg, avi, wmv, etc, but no video. I know the codecs are probably missing but tried uninstall and re-installing Power DVD and didn't work. This is on a Windows XP Pro computer, NooNoo, will gspot work? Once found missing codec, is there instuctions to install new ones? User did admited to going into win folder and deleted stuffs..sigh...

Thanks

Gspot just identifies the codec you need... but if you can't do any video, then I wonder if you have deleted a operating system codec.... In device manager, under sound, video and game controllers you should have a device called video codecs. Double click it to bring up the properties and select the properties tab. What codecs do you have listed?

Also, start, run type in
    dxdiag
    click ok
    Run the video tests... what happens?

Unfortunately, the user is on vacation. I can't get to the computer yet. I will check and post as soon as they are back.

Thanks!

here is a link to a program that analyses your windows to see what codecs are in fact installed and writes it all to a text file.
    I havent tried it but it says spyware adware cookie free
    http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html