Troublesome cswGina.dll driver

Thread: Troublesome cswGina.dll driver

Question Troublesome cswGina.dll driver

Recently, while attempting to load “Internet Explorer 7 onto my XP system, my computer locked up and I lost any ability to interface with Internet Explorer and was unable (from that point on) to get onto the internet at all. I then tried to do a system restore but was only answered with a message that the system could not be restored.
    In the end I had to totally re-install all of my XP system to be able to reload Internet Explorer 6.
    When I go To “User Accounts” and click on “Change the way Users Log On and Log Off“, I get the following message:

“A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: cswGina.dll”

Utilizing Windows search utility, I was able to locate the driver (cswGina.dll) in only one location: Windows/syst32 .
    Experimenting, I moved the driver to the Recycle Bin and attempted to restart the computer. In the end, I had to restart in “Safe Mode” and re-install the driver.
    Prior to my misadventure with trying to load Internet Explorer 7 from Yahoo, I was able to use “Fast User Switching” without any problems.

My question is: If it is possible, how can I get back the ability to utilize the “Fast User Switching”?
    Thanks in Advance,
    RBallasch

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Are you using a Cisco wireless device?
    Sergeant WOTPP

I think MobilePCPhysician is right :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829715

Yes, I am using a Cisco wireless device. I was however using that same device "prior" to all of the problems. I will give your MS link a looksee and see what I can do.
    Thanks a lot,
    RBallasch

To start off with,thank you both for the quick reply.
    I tried the instructions at (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829715) but at step 4., when it directed me to go to the right pane and right click GinaDLL, and then click delete, there was no "GinaDLL" there to delete.
    Also at step 6., I was directed to go to "Remove Programs" and proceed to remove "Cisco Systems VPN" , again, there was a problem. There was no "Cisco Systems VPN" listed there to be removed. there was only "Cisco Aironet Installation Wizard" listed and needless to say I was reluctant to remove that as it would result in losing my ability to get online.
    Any Ideas as to where I should go from here?
    Thanks Again,
    RBallasch

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Recommended Action If LEAP is selected during ACU installation, you cannot use Windows XP's fast user switching feature. If you want to use fast user switching and do not want to use LEAP, you must run the ACU installation program again, select Modify, and deselect LEAP.

http://www.okena.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chap ter09186a008007f849.html

That should do it.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Thanks for the try MobilePCPhysician but after doing as you suggested, and rebooting my computer, I went to "User Accounts" I still get the message:

“A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: cswGina.dll"
    Thanks for the effort,
    RBallasch

Try going here and using one of the 'fixes':

http://www.itechtips.com/2006/03/fas...nd_my_cis.html

late edit: also see here;

http://www.mcse.ms/message1989874.html
    Last edited by CCT; December 2nd, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

Troublesome cswGina.dll driver

CCT,
    Thank you,thank you, thank you!
    My problem has been fixed!
    I also want to very much thank all those whom responded to my thread and worked so hard to help me.
    Also, for those of you that are getting ready to take the test for their A+ certification, I may be able to help free of charge.
    When I signed up for this websight, I am fairly sure that I gave permission to contact me via my e-mail address. If this is legal, please feel free to contact me for more information.
    Thanks Again,
    RBallasch

A pleasure to help.