Wi-Fi on my mobo?

Thread: Wi-Fi on my mobo?

Wi-Fi on my mobo?

I heard that my mobo(Αsus a8V Deluxe) has Wi-Fi. I have a home network, can I have wireless internet between my pc s? How?
    Do I need this antenna? Didnt include.

Note Manual says nothing about. Maybe is an earlier edition?

you need the card and the antenea and its only avaliable from asus and likely more expensive then just buying a wireless router and pci wireless card
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Is this pci card more expensive than a wireless modem/router? I think u jogging.
    Heres says that costs 19$. In my country, a wireless modem/router costs 100€ οr more. In your country how much? http://www.shentech.com/aswi80wilanc.html

So its good for me to buy that card. But where find it.
    Suppose I get one. Should 2nd pc have same mobo too?
    Does this pci card replace the wireless modem/router? Will I throw away that ethernet cable?
    Why manual or cd-rom have nothing about? Will it fit/work in any A8V Deluxe mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by kolokythaki
    Is this pci card more expensive than a wireless modem/router? I think u jogging.
    No it is not more expensive than a wireless router
    Heres says that costs 19$. In my country, a wireless modem/router costs 100€ οr more. In your country how much? http://www.shentech.com/aswi80wilanc.html
    About the same for pci cards and wireless modem routers in the UK
    So its good for me to buy that card. But where find it.
    What country?
    Suppose I get one. Should 2nd pc have same mobo too?
    Not for an ordinary wireless pci card... but that it is specifically for Asus motherboards, it goes in the special wifi connector. Confusingly, the specification says it's pci, but in the installation picture, it shows a connector with multiple pins. This is because there are two types. A pci type, and a wifi connector type. The link shows a wifi connector type... this is not for your motherboard.
    Does this pci card replace the wireless modem/router?
    No. This is a wireless card and wireless access point combined. You only need one of these to provide wireless network access to your other wireless enabled pcs and laptops.
    Will I throw away that ethernet cable?
    You will need it to setup your modem/router unless it is an ordinary usb modem. Do you have a modem/router - if so, what make and model?
    No, you will probably need it to do the initial setup
    Why manual or cd-rom have nothing about?
    Have you been to the manufacturer's site?
    Will it fit/work in any A8V Deluxe mobo?
    No.
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 5th, 2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Seems I m not quite familiar with the home wireless network, so I ll make another thread about.

Now about A8V Deluxe's Wi-Fi,
    If I understand well, this card is a common wireless adapter/pci card, nothing special.
    Do I need a wireless modem/router in any case? If yes, I mean if I necesseraly have to buy one, the matter is not any more interesting for me.

As I see, there 2 types of A8V Deluxe, one which supports this function and one which doesnt. Seems I have the second.

Seems I m not quite familiar with the home wireless network, so I ll make another thread about.
    why? This one will do.
    Now about A8V Deluxe's Wi-Fi,
    If I understand well, this card is a common wireless adapter/pci card, nothing special.
    NO it is not, it is a wireless card that also behaves as a wireless access point
    Do I need a wireless modem/router in any case?
    You need a modem to get on the internet, you need a router to route the internet around to network points, one of which may be an access point to serve wireless enabled computers.
    If yes, I mean if I necesseraly have to buy one, the matter is not any more interesting for me.
    You need understand more about how networks work, how you feed internet into a home network and how to create wireless access. You can buy a single box that does the modem, router and wireless access function, or you can buy these separately. The asus pci wireless does the wireless access function.
    As I see, there 2 types of A8V Deluxe, one which supports this function and one which doesnt. Seems I have the second.
    Your motherboard was quoted as compatible with the pci version (see link in my last post.)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, lets not make it more confusing. Lets make it clear.

What do I have:

I have already a DSL connection, a modem/router, a switch and 2 PCs.
    PC1 is the good pc, PC2 is the "downloading" pc, 24hours per day. Since I have the switch normally connected, the 2 PCs are totaly independent(PC1, PC2, modem/router are connected, all three of them, right on the switch with ethernet cables).

PC2 is just a case with the minimum necessary device: psu,mobo,cpu,ram,fanless vga,hd and nothing else.
    PC2 downloads files and when finished I transfer them to PC1.
    I control PC2 from PC1 throught the XP's Remote Control.

This is my local network.Same room.

What do I want:

I want get rid of the ethernet cables. MOSTLY, I want get rid of the PC2's cable.
    Can I do this without buy a new wireless modem/router?

Do I need buy and put wireless pci network cards for each computer?
    Is such a card this A8V Deluxe's card?

- - - - - - - -
    I think I couldnt be more clear
    Last edited by kolokythaki; December 5th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Okay.

If you buy the Asus pci/wireless access point that fits in your motherboard, the only other thing you need is a normal pci wireless card.

You do not need to buy a new modem/router

The pc with the access point will need to be connected to the switch or the router AND will have to be powered on when you want to access the internet from the other pc. If you don't want this just buy a normal wireless access point, connect it directly to your router or your switch (depends on the router model number). You will then need two oridinary pci wireless cards.

here is a search for wireless access points in the uk Obviously you need to look them up in your own courty.

Not sure if I m understanding u completely.
    If you buy the Asus pci/wireless access point that fits in your motherboard, the only other thing you need is a normal pci wireless card.
    Glad to hear that I dont have to spend 100€ or more to buy a wireless modem/router.
    This happens only with the Wi-Fi@HOME function?
    The "normal pci wireless card" is going to be put in PC2?
    ...AND will have to be powered on when you want to access the internet from the other pc.
    No, this is not what I want. I use to have 2 PCs independent. This means I close PC1, go to sleep but PC2 go on...PC2 works 24hours in good temp and low noise.
    If you don't want this just buy a normal wireless access point, connect it directly to your router or your switch (depends on the router model number). You will then need two oridinary pci wireless cards.
    EDITWhen u say "normal wireless access point" u mean not the Asus one?
    I cant understand what is the difference between "Asus pci/wireless access point" or "normal wireless access point" and "pci wireless card"...

Maybe I cannot find this "Asus pci/wireless access point" or doesnt fits to my mobo.
    Can I get rid of the PC2's ethernet cable just by buying and put"oridinary pci wireless cards" in each pc, or in any other possible way? (just not buy wireless modem/router)
    EDIT
    U mean I do not need to buy a new wireless modem/router...
    Last edited by kolokythaki; December 5th, 2006 at 06:16 PM.

Not sure if I m understanding u completely.
    OK...
    Glad to hear that I dont have to spend 100€ or more to buy a wireless modem/router.
    No you don't, you just need to buy something that does the wireless bit if your current modem/router does not have wireless. What is the make and model of your modem/router?
    This happens only with the Wi-Fi@HOME function?
    WIFI@Home I believe is the asus name for their wireless solution.
    The "normal pci wireless card" is going to be put in PC2?
    Yes.
    No, this is not what I want. I use to have 2 PCs independent. This means I close PC1, go to sleep but PC2 go on...PC2 works 24hours in good temp and low noise.
    OK, you need a wireless access point and 2 pci wireless cards.
    When u say "normal wireless access point" u mean not the Asus one?
    Correct.
    I cant understand what is the difference between "Asus pci/wireless access point" or "normal wireless access point" and "pci wireless card"...
    Asus have designed a wireless card that also acts as a wireless access point. There is a lot more to this and can be very confusing... but for what you have stated you want to happen, you need a separate wireless access point and two pci wireless cards.
    Maybe I cannot find this "Asus pci/wireless access point" or doesnt fits to my mobo.
    Since you have stated you want both machines to be independent, you don't want the Asus card. You are free to choose any two wireless pci cards and a wireless access point. It is a good idea to get the same make of access point and wireless cards, but not necessary.
    Can I get rid of the PC2's ethernet cable just by buying and put"oridinary pci wireless cards" in each pc,
    Yes, but keep the cable in case you need it in the future.
    U mean I do not need to buy a new wireless modem/router...
    Yes

I need to know the make and model number of your modem/router to advise you further.

Ok then, if it is about so much money, then doesnt worth just to cut a small ethernet cable.