The Code 10 Ordeal

Thread: The Code 10 Ordeal

Exclamation The Code 10 Ordeal

"This device cannot start" I'm so much relieved to know I'm not alone. Mine is the desk top iomega 250GB USB 2.0 and supplied with its own power. It works on my Dell Inspiron 8000, 5 years young, xp prof sp2, with the old USB 1.1, at a reduced speed of course. My ordeal is that it only works once in a blue moon. The storage properties are the same as everybody else. I've gone thru the troubleshoots, the remove-install back thing with lots of patience.

Why does it work some times? What's happening the other times? Any new theory?

Also, I have tried it on other computers and it works fine. But it will not function on any Dell lap top, so far, that I have plugged into; my friend's is months young with USB 2.0. I called tech support at Dell --no success either. Anybody care to speculate? And I can't even smash it with a sledgehammer, not a dent; it's made out of some kind of alloy...

Welcome to WinDrivers, Aeneas.

Since all the problems so far have been with Dell systems, and no problems with others, I have to wonder if it's just an incompatability issue. Dell do have a habit of doing things in a proprietary way, and if iomega have just edged in the opposite direction, maybe never the twain shall meet... ?
    Last edited by Platypus; December 8th, 2006 at 07:27 AM.

While dell doesn't specifically address that particluar USB problem in bios upgrades, a couple were addressed ib the A20 bios and the newer A23 is a recommended bios fix re temps.

Do some reasearch here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/

Every dell seems to have patches for iomega...have you signed up for omega support (free registration)... there are a ton of patches there which I found for one of my customers (yes you guess it, they had a dell too).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."