[RESOLVED] Loading Server 2000 on stata drives

Thread: [RESOLVED] Loading Server 2000 on stata drives

Resolved [RESOLVED] Loading Server 2000 on stata drives

Hello its me again: Ok here is the situation. I'm trying to set up an older server with a sata drive to replace scsi so i can have it available as an off site replacment server for the company. It is a very close match to the current server and I'm hoping it will server as disaster backup. See my other thread on dissaster plan help. Here are some real basics. Dell PowerEdge 1400sc. 2 x 733 CPU, 1 Meg Ram, 2 x sata drives. 1 x 40 and 1 x 80. Sata to pci card adapter. First my issue. I am trying to load server 2000 onto the sata drives. I have tried loading with a single drive attached and I've tried loading it to a mirror raid 0. I know the drives should match but this is just an experiment right now.

Two - Steps taken. I turned off the scsi controller in the bios and set the first hardrive boot device to the sata drive (also tried the array). Each time I go to install server 2k I get up to the place where it says no drives found.

I think I have the mobo configured right. I sees the drives both as an individual drive when set up as such and as a raid 0 array when I tried that as well. On boot I can f4 into the raid setup and configure the raid or sata drives. I can even see them when I boot off a wind98 disk into dos and use fdisk. So any thoughts why I can actually see them during install? Thoughts Chris P.

did you load the sata drivers? F6 at setup....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

F6

Hi: Oh you mean during the software OS 2000 load itself not during the mobo boot - correct? Hmmm good point I didn't look for that. I do have a cd that came with the pci card. In the past I've been asked for a floppy, could it use a cd as well?

Thanks for such a fast reply. I'm trying to get away from the dreaded scsi if I can. Chris P.

dunno if a cd can be used... usually extract the relevant files to a floppy
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nope, Windows must load the driver from a diskette. Unless you want to make a slipstreamed CD including the driver. Personally, Plan A is usually lots simpler and quicker.

Raid O isn't a mirror - Raid 1 is.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../cs-009333.htm

Raid O+1 install is better for you I think.

http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../140157_1.aspx

Identical drive size (and drives if possible) is the way to go.

I included the Intel sites since they offer a comprehensive look at what is involved in most any Raid install - the second site is for the 0+1 Matrix Raid.
    Last edited by CCT; December 7th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    Raid O isn't a mirror - Raid 1 is.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../cs-009333.htm

Raid O+1 install is better for you I think.

http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../140157_1.aspx

Identical drive size (and drives if possible) is the way to go.

I included the Intel sites since they offer a comprehensive look at what is involved in most any Raid install - the second site is for the 0+1 Matrix Raid.
    Thank you yes I got my raid numbers mixed up but it will be a mirrored array. Can i use that workd?

Chris

Like many of my 'helping' posts, I gave what I could!

I know squat about servers - I do know how to install raid 0 on my intel-based comp.

Now that you have some better info, ask the REAL techs here.

seems daft to me that your whizzy new 5+1 raid scream machine 1u server needs a freaking floppy drive! I hope they fix that one on the next server os rounds..

Indeed, Noo, requiring a floppy to load a driver is way beyond absurd. But, XP/Server 2003 is supposed to be that last OS from MS with this requirement. Also the last OS to include any capability to boot from or run setup from floppies. But, still, this is something that really should have been fixed with W2K.

Some mainboard manufacturers at least include a driver CD that will boot up in Linux and let you create a driver CD if you don't have access to nother computer or a handy internet connection.
    Last edited by slgrieb; December 9th, 2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Don't know when to quit.

Finis

Gents, I got the server 2000 software up and running on my sata drive so I'm a happy camper. This was just a training or learning excersise for the future but just that fact that I feel like I defeated the evil scsi god and can move on to a sata system that I can understand. Chris P.