USB Generic Parent Driver Error

Thread: USB Generic Parent Driver Error

USB Generic Parent Driver Error

I am running XP with service pack 2 and recently tried to install a new HP Officejet 7410 printer. During the installation, I had a number of the same error message and the printer could not load. The error is as follows:
    USB Generic Parent Driver
    This file does not exist and is required for installation to continue. Click continue to to proceed at your own risk or ensure that the file exists before continuing the installation.

File Name: C:\\Windows\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys
    Manufacturer: Microsoft
    Version:0.0.0.0.

Any ideas how to correct this?

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Last edited by street1; December 16th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Welcome to Windrivers dajester

The file should be there... have you had a look in the specified directory? If not you can get it from your XP disk using MSCONFIG to expand and install the file. If you have a branded machine, you may not have an xp disk... in this case run MSCONFIG anyway as you should have the i386 directory (that is on the disk) on your hard drive.

Start, run, type in MSCONFIG and click OK. How to expand a file using MSCONFIG
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    I have and it does not work.

I am at bout a 6th grade level on this so please forgive my stupidness. Once I get the system config window open, what should I do? I did a normal set up and the system restarted and once restarted, the system noticed the USB driver but asked for the software to load it. At thatpoint I was lost. Any suggestions?

Did you click the link for the instructions on how to expand the file?

Method 1: Use Expand File in Msconfig.exe
    To use Expand File in Msconfig.exe, follow these steps:1. Insert your Windows XP installation disk into your CD drive or DVD drive.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type Msconfig, and then click OK.
    3. On the General tab, click Expand File.
    4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file you want to expand. Or, to locate the file you want to replace, click Browse File, and then click Open.
    5. In the Restore from box, type the path from which to restore the file. Or, to locate the source file you want to expand on your Windows XP installation disk, click Browse From, and then click Open.
    6. If the Save file in box is not already populated from step 4, type the path to which you want the file to be restored. Or, to locate the destination folder you want to expand the file into, click Browse To, and then click OK.
    7. Click Expand.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I do not have a windows XP disc. I only have the XP office disc that came with the computer. I do have utility discs.

OK, if you read my post before, you will find that you have a hidden directory called i386...

If you have a branded machine, you may not have an xp disk... in this case run MSCONFIG anyway as you should have the i386 directory (that is on the disk) on your hard drive.
    Or one of your utility disks may include the xp files you need.

Got it. Now what?

err you expand your missing file....

Hopefully, NooNoo's advice will help you out.

Typically, most USB devices require the drivers to be loaded up first before physically hooking up your device. Which did you do first?

You might also try looking at HP's website for Installation Issues with WinXP:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...391194&lang=en

Here is an article on "Resolving Installation Problems for USB Connected All-in-One Products in Windows":
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=18004&lang=en

Notice the link towards the bottom for Uninstalling the All-in-One Software.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Not sure if it helps anyone. I have just installed a Visioneer 9000 scanner. I have been experimenting with it to make sure it works and generally it does. But with two printers attached (I use one for photo printing and one for docs) when I do a copy action it won't always print even though I specify the printer. When I tried to use the scanner from HP Image Zone it wouldn't recognise the scanner. I could use it from Roxio PhotoSuite 5 but I couldn'tthen use Roxio to print the result.