Will I need Vista for MCSA if I want to work?

Thread: Will I need Vista for MCSA if I want to work?

Will I need Vista for MCSA if I want to work?

Having lost my Husband on 3rd December I may decide to return to work at the age of 65 rather than exist on State Pension and benefits. I also need the interest that a job would provide.

I failed my MCP exams earlier this year because my husband needed a lot of care and I could not study not even at night as he kept getting up or coughing dreadfully. I feel I could pass them now if the College change their mind about concessions for pensioners and those on benefits for MCP courses like they did when I did my courses.

I could probably pass the XP exam with some self study but would need to re do the Server 2003 course and do the other core elements but will all MCPs be required to upgrade XP to Vista to get a job in the near future?

Angie
    Last edited by MorseLady; December 22nd, 2006 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I left out information
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Hey Angie. I am sorry to hear of your loss, I hope that there was no suffering towards the end.

What do you already have in the way of certification? Do you want a job as a server admin? If not, then no, you don't need them. What you need to think about is a strategy for getting a job - despite the legislation against ageism and disability, it is still a tall order to get a job in your chosen field (whatever that field maybe).

Better, I think to get a job and get them to pay for the exams don't you think?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

MorseLady, I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's passing, please accept my condolences. I've always admired your determination to advance your computer studies despite adverse circumstances.

I may be wrong, but I'd imagine in the real world XP will be the requirement for some time, although certifications will move on to encompass Vista. Businesses have considerable resources invested in the current operating environment, and try to amortize the cost over as long a period as possible, and postpone the angst of a general upgrade.

This happened with the 2000/XP transition, and it's often the end of the support period that pushes utilisation on to the next generation OS. XPPro mainstream support is stated to end 2 years from Vista release, and extended support to continue for a further five years.

I like NooNoo's comment about getting the employer to provide the training...

Have you considered the possibility of working for an Aged Care service provider? They should be aware of the pitfalls of ageism, and could view a computer literate "older" person with caring experience as an asset.

Hello Noo and Platypus,

Thank you for the kind words. Noo thanks for asking and John did not suffer too much. He had been unwell and losing weight for some time and was taken to hospital struggling to breathe two weeks before he died and I was warned then he might not make it. They were testing for lung cancer when he died and the cause of death was given as severe pneumonia and empyema (fluid on the lungs) but they said they thought he did have lung cancer. I did not get there in time and was told he was being fed and just closed his eyes and died. I will never forgive myself for not being there.

Since I posted this thread I have decided I do not have the mental or physical stamina to work full time or even part time but I still want to get my Certification if and when the College lift their ban on concessions for this course. I have also been told by the DWP that I would be worse off working than continuing to draw pension and benefits, in other words you don't get rewarded for trying to help yourself and go back to work after retirement.

You must forgive yourself, after all, what could you have done? Stayed in the hospital awake for the entire 2 weeks just in case? Be reasonable with yourself, no one judged you bad because you weren't there.

Crazy system isn't it? You might consider voluntary work to keep you fit and out and about. I know I did a fair bit and my mother still does. All kinds of organisations have all kinds of work that need doing, you could consider it broadening your experience by giving something a go for a month and then if you don't like it, move on to something else. It really doesn't have to be making tea for the WRVS!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you for your reply Noo and I will try and feel less guilty. I am feeling pretty depressed right now as the world has gone quite dead here. I have an end bungalow which means I only have one neighbour who has gone away anyway and the trains have stopped running, they are only over the road and I enjoy watching them. No planes going over to land at the nearby airport and few cars. No people about and I have never known such loneliness. But I have plenty to do here and I have a lovely home and will try and remember all those who have no home this Christmas.

Your suggestion of voluntary work is a good idea and maybe I could teach other elderly people how to use computers and the Internet.

Now that would be brilliant!

You are only as alone as you think you are.... so quit thinking it!

I stopped by,just to do my once in a while trolling trying to learn a bit here and there. But I'm glad I did stop by and read this today. I can't help but throw in my 2 cents.

First off, I offer my condolences.
    What I don't understand is why most workplaces would discriminate against you,I myself don't consider 65 old. And besides you'd be one of the few employees that wants to work.

Personally I've known people who are 65+ who had experience with computers and while I may or may not have been more familiar with a recent computer system, I had no knowledge of how computers used to work nor a complete understanding of the background of computers. My willing to listen to them allowed me to learn a lot.

On a side note I think a lot of youth has the common misconception that all people over 50 (no offense)don't have any computer skills or knowledge, but in reality they were the ones who helped make computers what they are today,the good parts anyway

retired people volunteering

I might offer a suggestion, based on my experience. I had to abruptly retire when my knees went bad. I've had one replaced and am about to have the other one replaced. I'm not too agile at present. The situation presented itself when my father-in-law, who has been flying full size and model airplanes since in the late 1930's had a stroke and lost control of his left side. He can walk, but his left hand is for the most part useless. Radio controled models is a 2 handed sport, requiring coordination of both hands. I considered what was available and modified a radio control transmitter to provide a 3 axis control stick (roll, pitch, & yaw) and fabricated a foot pedal throttle control to use with the transmitter. He now has full control of model airplanes, and I learned a lot myself. I haven't attempted to fly models, because I had a subdural hematoma in 1996 and my coordination is not fast enough for 100MPH + airplanes. My success was reported around by ofhers to people and I am very busy adapting model airplane controls to work with the person's abilities. It's quite a thrill to see a person fly a model airplane again and see the big grin on their face. It's worth every minute of it.
    Jim