Re; Time for debate - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Re; Time for debate

i saw you currently use Webroot Spy Sweeper and StopZilla. do you mind tell me the cost? thank you! so Another bill for my computer!!!

i am very slow here. i am going to have a look the link now! thank you for everyone.

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I scan daily. I can show you 8 different products that do spyware, and all 8 will get different results.

Yes norton does spyware... but so does avast and pc cillin, but they all get differing results. here is a fairly level headed overview
    There is going to be a day when computers will be not used for work or other things, the human race will only end chasing after spy-ware, as Noo Noo said each one detects spy-ware differently and each one can come up with different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainshed Terry
    There is going to be a day when computers will be not used for work or other things, the human race will only end chasing after spy-ware, as Noo Noo said each one detects spy-ware differently and each one can come up with different results.
    just read the Antivirus Software Review and also the free anti spyware link. the grisoft anti spyware offers one month free trial, then a lot of features will be cut if i would like to continues to use it for free. even i go ahead with it, it seems one anti spyware is not enough at all. as NooNoo use 8 products now. i don't think i can keep it up with all these anti spyware.already feels like i am not using the computer for work or leasure,just for scanning the virus,spywares......
    IF I CANN'T KEEP IT UP WITH THE ALL I MIGHT JUST GIVE UP THE ALL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fungli
    just read the Antivirus Software Review and also the free anti spyware link. the grisoft anti spyware offers one month free trial, then a lot of features will be cut if i would like to continues to use it for free. even i go ahead with it, it seems one anti spyware is not enough at all. as NooNoo use 8 products now. i don't think i can keep it up with all these anti spyware.already feels like i am not using the computer for work or leasure,just for scanning the virus,spywares......
    IF I CANN'T KEEP IT UP WITH THE ALL I MIGHT JUST GIVE UP THE ALL!!!

To true my friend I always thought that computers were supposed to make life easier but they dominate are lives by keeping as humans busy carrying out some form of maintenance routine.

To true my friend I always thought that computers were supposed to make life easier but they dominate are lives by keeping as humans busy carrying out some form of maintenance routine.
    Computers do make our lives easier... but the humans who write spyware enjoy ensuring that we spend lots of time pulling their stuff off our machines.

If you don't click on the popups which tell you have spyware or the ones that assure you that you are the winner, most of the time you will not get any spyware. Emails that are spam - don't read them and click the links in them, just trash them.

It's kinda like life really... if you are one of these people who get taken for a ride by conmen or the latest get rich quick scheme, your machine is probably also full of spyware
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try this version for a while http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/.../lng/us/tpl/v5 as I have used it before and works great. There is a link to a Anti-virus scanner from the same company.

I hope that this more useful information.
    Very scary!!! i just downloaded the Anti Spyware and scanned my files. and found one item medium/low risk.i removed it immediately.
    i have NO IDEA or i never thought i had one!!! Did I get taken for ride by conmen????

like NooNoo's saying.....
    It's kinda like life really... if you are one of these people who get taken for a ride by conmen or the latest get rich quick scheme, your machine is probably also full of spyware.

very glad i took everyone's advise and have installed one Anti spyware product AT LEAST on top of Norton. i hope everything is fine. just talked with my friend who uses Windows Defender. he said it is good.

Thank you again for everyone's help! Glad to come to meet everyone here!

Quote Originally Posted by fungli
    Very scary!!! i just downloaded the Anti Spyware and scanned my files. and found one item medium/low risk.i removed it immediately.
    i have NO IDEA or i never thought i had one!!! Did I get taken for ride by conmen????

like NooNoo's saying.....
    It's kinda like life really... if you are one of these people who get taken for a ride by conmen or the latest get rich quick scheme, your machine is probably also full of spyware.

very glad i took everyone's advise and have installed one Anti spyware product AT LEAST on top of Norton. i hope everything is fine. just talked with my friend who uses Windows Defender. he said it is good.

Thank you again for everyone's help! Glad to come to meet everyone here!
    So glade that Windrivers could be off assistance in this matter, ....... there is one other think that is worth considering is to down load the following utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B890830
    It is free for use with Microsoft products.

Do regular check in this forum for other useful info.

So glade that Windrivers could be off assistance in this matter, ....... there is one other think that is worth considering is to down load the following utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B890830
    It is free for use with Microsoft products.

Do regular check in this forum for other useful info.
    Thank you for the link! i will do it at this weekend. feel exhausted after work. i think the new year break made me lazy.

I use Norton Systemworks as my AV with Spyware S&D, Ad-Aware and MS Defender.
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...

Hey, talk about not checking in regularly! Here goes anyway. fungli, if you are going to stick with NAV, I'd suggest you contact Symantec customer service and see if you can't wheedle a credit out of them for the subscription renewal and update to 2007 instead. Generally, Symantec is quite willing to take a bit more of your money for the update.

There were some fairly significant changes to NAV in the 2007 version. Symantec finally got the hints from customers about the huge performance hit from previous versions, and 2007 has noticeably reduced system overhead. Boot times are very much faster, and overall system speed is improved as well.

NAV 2007 also has better rootkit detection and removal capabilities, and improved heuristics. If you're not familiar with these terms, rootkits are programming techniques that permit software to hide itself from the operating system. This isn't always evil, per se, because legitimate programs (like NAV) use this technology to make them tamper resistent to malware. (Some of the results are a topic for a whole 'nother thread.) Heuristics are the processes that anti-malware programs use to guard against nasties for which there is currently no signature in their database, or suspected variants of known pests.

As noo says, most AV software still relies on a database of known pests for detection. In the case of traditional viruses, there is a very effective industry-wide vendor consortium that shares information about new threats among its members, so for most people, exposure to new threats is pretty limited if your AV software updates frequently enough. More on this in a bit.

Heuristics used to relatively ineffective, but have gotten better in the last year or so. The best anti-malware products (NAV 2007 and NOD32 2.7 among them) have the ability to execute suspect code in a protected area of memory, monitor the result, and kill suspect processes. Needless to say, this isn't 100% effective technology, but it is a big improvement over earlier techniques. If you are also running XP SP2 and a 64 bit CPU, Data Execution Prevention and advanced heuristics provide a high level of protection against new threats.

So, when you evaluate an AV product, the number of VB100 awards shouldn't be your only criteria; consistency matterss, and you should also look at the frequency of updates and the quality of heuristics for the product. Avast! updates more frequently than AVG, but NAV offers automatic updates weekly (as a minimum) and manual updates can be downloaded daily. NOD32 typically has 2 to 3 automatic updates daily, and sometimes more.

I think the best "for pay" antispyware programs have pulled ahead of the freebies, but this is primarily an issue with removal; not prevention. I average 3 to 4 malware removals per day, so "after the fact performance" is important to me, but I think it matters less to a user who is careful and cautious about how he uses his computer online.

Thank you,Slgrieb! i will contact Symantec for upgrading NAV 2006 TO NAV2007. i was not aware there are so much diffrence between them. i manual updates once a week or a fortnight. i already downloaded AVG Anti-spyware and MS Defender. i will have look into it further tomorrow. Many thanks for your advise!

fungli you should allow automatic updates for NAV, sometimes they update 3 or 4 times in a single day. Weekly or Fortnightly updates is asking for trouble.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    fungli you should allow automatic updates for NAV, sometimes they update 3 or 4 times in a single day. Weekly or Fortnightly updates is asking for trouble.
    i forgot to say i allow automatic updates for NAV. i manual click on the Live Update once a week or two weeks. at the beginning when i got Norton internet security 2 years ago i allow automatic updates,i always see message at the corner saying NAV updated(most time when i just turn on my pc) . so i thought i don't need to bother to click Live Update manually. but my firend told me i need. i can't remember the reason.
    anyway,thank you for your advise. i am really bad at the technical part. i wish i could get a relly good Internet Security software (protect my pc against anti virus,spyware and etc..)which do everything for me!! i thought Norton Internet Security was doing everything for me. apparently NOT!
    have a nice Sunday!
    Last edited by fungli; January 7th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.

Sorry, not gonna happen... that's like saying you want really good security for your home.. you can spend a fortune on security and get burgled anyway! Ask any bank manager!