Disable Unkown Publisher security warning in XP PRO&HOME

Thread: Disable Unkown Publisher security warning in XP PRO&HOME

Disable Unknown Publisher security warning in XP PRO & HOME

How to disable the “Unknown Publisher” security warning when running an application after installing Windows XP SP2.

XP PRO SP2 Instructions

1) Start menu > Run gpedit.msc
    2) Go to Local Computer Policy  User Configuration
    3) Administrative Templates  Windows Components
    4) Attachment Manager and enable “Default risk level for file attachments”
    5) Enable “Inclusion list for low file types” and add to this list the file extensions that you want to open without triggering this crap.

XP HOME SP2 Instructions

Copy and paste the following text below into a notepad document.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Associations]
    "DefaultFileTypeRisk"=dword:00001807
    "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe"

STOP Copying Before This Line

From the file menu chose “save as” and save the txt documents as DefaultFileTypeRisk.reg

Change “save as type” to *.* and save the file.

Once this file is imported it will allow the execution of all unknown publisher “.exe” files to run automatically without being prompted with a security warning. If the file being launched is not a .exe file please change the follow line above "LowRiskFileTypes"=".???" by replacing the area where the question marks are with the appropriate file extension of your liking.

Then reboot the computer.
    Last edited by pbolduc; January 6th, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

Great, so any spyware can just install itself! I prefer to click the security warning than to have no warning and something install itself that I didn't want!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Policy change not intended for everyone

This fix is a potential security risk and is not intended for everyone. Not everyone has computers connected to the Internet and advanced users just know better to not run something that they don't fully understand. Lots of business computers on closed internal networks require the use of an automated system without the delays or annoyances of additional security popups which hinder the operations and confuse the end user with unnecessary security prompts. This work around isn't intended for every person. This work around is a "policy". "Polices" are not intended for everyone just specific audiences for specific tasks. Thanks for pointing out the obvious NooNoo as i failed to mention it was not a recommended fix for the average person but rather a specific IT crowd.

I'd also like to mention that as long as any computer is connected to the internet, regardless of Microsoft security measures, there will always be spyware/malware exploiting vulnerabilities created to attack Microsoft and the more popular operating systems. This software can potentially compromise any system. This has been going on for years.
    Last edited by pbolduc; January 6th, 2007 at 04:12 PM.

Agreed, but why post this when this is clearly something the average user should NOT do, and any tech worth his salt working for a company knows how to do or at least look up how to do?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Why I posted

NooNoo I don't belong to any other forms other than the Win Drivers forms because I feel the need to give back my advice/experience with the intentions to save someone else some aggravation and frustration of plowing through mindless pages of tech net articles which don’t always tackle the real life scenarios that we all encounter. I have however stumbled across many other forms (those which I don’t belong to just because there are too many forms on the internet) for people looking for an XP home workaround for this specific problem. I took the time to reverse engineer this case as policies for XP home are not intended. Therefore there will be no Microsoft documentation on this specific problem. I can only hope the people looking for this fix will find it here and use this site as I’ve found it very informational and the people in the Win Drivers chat are most excellent.

Now instead of being so critical of me being helpful let's place the focus on those that really need the help rather than those who are just trying to be of help.

I am not being critical, I am presenting the otherside of the coin.

This warning means one of two things - the software publisher has not got an accredited certificate (from $99 a year) or where the software is properly digitally signed and you get this warning, it means there is something wrong with the download. For example, downloading something from Microsoft that produces that error means that the download has corrupted somehow.

Users need to make and INFORMED choice. Telling them to just turn off the warning is not informing then, it is telling them to ignore the problem. Ignorance means more spyware and viruses being allowed onto the machine.

I found a simple way to disable the security warning for a specific file :

right-click the file and choose Properties. Click Unblock and
    then OK. The Zone Identifier attached to that file is now reset :O)

Sweet!

Hey!!!! Thanks so much for the reply!!!! I was wondering what the purpose of that unblock feature was really for. This will help me greatly, thanks again!

Man...It seems like life is like God's comic relief....

Just a DAY after I posted this reply, I tried it on a file that runs on my client network and didn't see the UNBLOCK option, But the first post with the Gpedit.msc helped me....LOL....

Disable Multiple Image Bfiles Simultaneously

Hi Hiphoper

I like your solution, although I have only recently experienced this security warning problem.
    However, I need to view image many (jpg?) files which I have already saved from the internet.
    The blocker box only appears if I select one file and is absent when I select many.
    Any suggestions please?
    And why do I only experience this now?
    Thanx

Welcome to Windrivers madmax1234

Have you solved the problem?

Hi NooNoo

Thanx for the welcome.
    Weeeeeeell, I fixed the problem using pbolduc's gpedit.msc and it's working fine....
    I do however take note of your very valid reservations. I'm hoping that my pc is well-protected.

Fair enough and thanks for replying.