Dazzle DV-Bridge and XP - No device visible
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dazzle DV-Bridge and XP - No device visible

Dazzle DV-Bridge and XP - No device visible

I have a Dazzle DV-Bridge, but when I hook it up to my peecee, the hardware manager doesn't see it at all. If I unplug the firewire then replug it, it gets seen for a few seconds, plus the VCR that it is through-putting, but then it disappears again. I suspect this is a driver problem. Dazzle's handbook says the DV-Bridge uses the native XP video cpature drivers, etc, but I can't determine what they are and what I need or where to get them. Any help?

system: Athalon XP2700+ with 1.5 G RAM, XP Pro, Blaster 3D video card, SGI 1600SW monitor, Dazzle Hollywood DV_Bridge, Panasonic NV-HS960 VCR

Do you have the windows movie maker update and SP1 ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, just Direct-X 9.0b. I could install the moviemaker update, I assume, but the SP1 is denied me due to the type of install I have.......

Sorry NooNoo, I replied using the wrong ID, but as above stated, I can't get the SP1, does this actually resolve the problem, or are you just getting a better handle on my set-up?

Then you won't get it working. Go buy a proper copy.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It IS a proper copy - but it was ;icensed to a workgroup that no longer has a support contract - Windows doesn't always provide upgrades to XP with mass licensing.

sp1 comes from windows update. I know of no situation where you cannot get those updates unless you are on a piracy blacklist.

I have no idea - I took my computer as payment for a job I did, they told me it was a general license, upgraded from Win2K and not eligible for support - I've met several other people with similar set-ups here in Switzerland - it may be something odd in the way Switzerland sets up OEMs, it may be that the local sales people are less scrupulous than in the UK....

This doesn't deal with my problem, and I doubt that the legality or otherwise of my license stops the DV-Bridge from working - what in SP-1, in your opinion makes the DV-Bridge work where it would not in in XP Pro basic install? If you can show me that I need this, I will arrange it, but I will not spend money for a fix that isn't one....

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    sp1 comes from windows update. I know of no situation where you cannot get those updates unless you are on a piracy blacklist.
    I do

If you have one of the blocked keys 'legitimately' (i.e you had one of the many 'leaked' keys) & your copy of xp was upgraded from something else, you are blocked out & it might be pretty tricky to convince M$ that you should have a 'new one' ... but in all fairness if you do have the right documentation (receipts etc & a valid s/w license for the pre-upgrade o/s) you ought to be able to convince them to relicense it ... But I'm not in Switzerland ! - 'neutral' is not a word many would apply to me !

BUT I can say 'fairly certainly' that sp1 will help Categorized List of Fixes in Windows XP Service Pack 1 ... there are very many that relate either directly or indirectly to usb.

If you aren't convinced .. go try it on another machine with sp1, that might not suffer from your licensing 'issues'
    Last edited by confus-ed; January 30th, 2004 at 05:30 AM.

I'll do that - there may be some confusion here - DV-Bridge works over Firewire, not USB, and the list of Firewire fixes aren't applicable on the page you referred me to....

I have to admit, coming from a Unix world (hey I did all my work on SUNs and SGIs) I find the M$ world very confusing and not at all what they represent themselves as (plug and play is NOT). I'm used to things working, which they do on my SGI, but this is a little rediculous...companies passing themselves off as reputable and compatible with all Windoze setups, yet their systems cause freezes and crashes constantly (take a bow, Pinnacle), and thier treatment of customers is high-handed and downright rude! (Take another bow, Pinnacle).

Quote Originally Posted by wilorg
    I'll do that - there may be some confusion here
    there often is when I reply ! but I can see some fixes that relate to firewire too ... I think trying on a post sp1 beast will obviously clear up your 'neutrality' issues sufficiently to make it clear whether 'additional expense' needs incurred ...

Oh its plug & PRAY I think M$ got confus-ed too
    Last edited by confus-ed; January 30th, 2004 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilorg
    I'll do that - there may be some confusion here - DV-Bridge works over Firewire, not USB, and the list of Firewire fixes aren't applicable on the page you referred me to....

I have to admit, coming from a Unix world (hey I did all my work on SUNs and SGIs) I find the M$ world very confusing and not at all what they represent themselves as (plug and play is NOT). I'm used to things working, which they do on my SGI, but this is a little rediculous...companies passing themselves off as reputable and compatible with all Windoze setups, yet their systems cause freezes and crashes constantly (take a bow, Pinnacle), and thier treatment of customers is high-handed and downright rude! (Take another bow, Pinnacle).
    AT the end of the day, to have a legal copy of windows you must have the the certificate of authenticity attached to the machine. The media should match. It may have come from a volume licence, in which case go back to the supplier who is obliged to support it and you should know there is a difference between support and windows updates. Have you or have you not tried to access windows update?

Knowing the Swiss, I am extremely surprised at this imprecise usage of windows licencing.

Sp1 was only one thing I asked about. What about the movie maker update?
    Last edited by NooNoo; January 30th, 2004 at 02:20 PM.

Knowing the Swiss, I am not - I did a quick survery of most of the local hardware sellers - the guys who put the boxes together are alomost all doing "questionable" things - nothing new in the Swiss computer industry, BTW. I did try windows update and got the message - license version not supported.

Yeah, I have the moviemaker update. I got to wondering if it was the Panasinic VCR that was buggering it up, since if I did not pass a signal through, the device was seen, but when I hooked up a Pioneer DVD player, the same thing happened. So I guess the driver for that is okay....

Well your only fix then is to buy a proper copy of XP.

After testing this on a computer running XP Pro SP1, there is trhe same problem as before - so SP1 is not the answer.....