Toshiba Satellite hard drive cloning problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toshiba Satellite hard drive cloning problem

Smile

Thankyou Shard92.

I learn something new everyday... some lesons are easier than others, however.

Dean
    What evil lurks in the hearts of computers? Only The Noo Noo knows!!!

I don't believe you take a hit in terms of performance with Media Center, and it is a pretty slick product in many ways. If you don't run the machine on a domain based on a Windows 2000 or 2003 server, some features of XP Pro don't matter much. Frankly, I don't have many clients using file encryption under Pro, or multiple CPUs.

Dell and other vendors really seem to push Media Center and machines that are essentially consumer oriented onto many small business customers. I'm not sure why this happens, but I can't say I've found it to be much a problem to date.

Quote Originally Posted by dfritz
    Thankyou Shard92.

I learn something new everyday... some lesons are easier than others, however.

Dean

no problem just as an fyi toshiba usually puts the "tatoo" on the motherboard not the hard drive.... that is so you can't use the toshiba setup in another machine....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I don't believe you take a hit in terms of performance with Media Center, and it is a pretty slick product in many ways.
    Thanks for the info, slgrieb. If you want a computer to turn on the lights, make coffee and feed the cat, then that's the way MS is going. I might even be inclined to do that, but I am somewhat nervous about Microsoft just taking control EVERYTHING. I also don't like what HP and many printer companies are doing with all of the background apps they're running.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Dell and other vendors really seem to push Media Center and machines that are essentially consumer oriented onto many small business customers. I'm not sure why this happens, but I can't say I've found it to be much a problem to date.
    I have a client who thought that they could save some money and order their computers directly from Dell. Got a very nice tower with a great processor and plenty of RAM. They have a domain. There is now an unused copy of Media Center laying around their office.

Thanks for your response,
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    no problem just as an fyi toshiba usually puts the "tatoo" on the motherboard not the hard drive.... that is so you can't use the toshiba setup in another machine....
    Thanks Shard92

Router Firmware

Quote Originally Posted by dfritz
    Thanks Noo Noo.
    I've done that many times before, and if the MB chipset is different, then I do a repair install of Windows. That takes care of all of the hard ware issues.
    PCs with Media Center seem to take a performance hit and from some reports there may be a reliability issue as well. This particular unit would reportedly not "connect to the customer's network" no matter what he tried. He has networked 3 or 4 other computers to this network, but could not make this one connect.
    Also, you kind of knocked on Ghost. Is there something wrong? I've used it for years and don't think I've had any issues.
    Thanks, Dean
    I had a simular issue with a router not conecting a Media Center OS. After extensive futility, a firmware upgrade to the router solved the problem. Just a FYI.
    No matter where you go........there you are.

Irish Shark

What in the world could be different (about MS Networking over ethernet) in Windows Media Center that a firmware upgrade to a router could fix? That would have to mean that Media Center was doing something different compared to Home edition or Professional. It's possible that it has a later security update or something that made it unable to connect to your router. But then I thought that ethernet was ethernet.

Or did I read more into your message than you meant? Do you have OSs other than Media Center on this router? I was assuming that you did, but now I'm not sure that you maybe have all Media Center Edition OSs on the network.

Curiously,
    dfritz
    Last edited by dfritz; January 30th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.