399$ on an OS, no? Try this instead

Thread: 399$ on an OS, no? Try this instead

399$ on an OS, no? Try this instead

I like this idea, pay 199$ for the Ultimate Version of Vista...the catch? its OEM. TBH that's fine with me if I can get a 399$ OS for 199$.I only want to install it on my new system anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116213

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2088385,00.asp

It's cheaper for the Home Version and other's too, I just used Ultimate for an example since that's the one I'm going to be getting.
    Last edited by TechZ; January 31st, 2007 at 08:41 AM.

the differences between the vistas

Kinda over the top just to get a poker game isn't it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I will be waiting until we get our Vista Enterprise license through the school district as I can legally install it on up to two personal computers with our school license agreement. The same goes for Office 2007.(yes its legal, the district pays for 2 extra licenses for the technicians and I believe for some of the Administration Staff too). Of course we will not be rolling out Vista on all the computers right away, probably just us techies will get it at first and then maybe in 2008 we will roll it out.

However, I may have to drop the $199 for Vista Ultimate if I want to put it on my media center computer. But I believe I have a Microsoft Active Directory Seminar in April or May and they are giving away some copies there. So if I am lucky I can get it for free.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

On a side note, I was told that in Vista Enterprise you get both the 64bit versions and 32bit versions in one license so you can install either one depending on if the machine supports 64 bit or not. Not sure how true that is, but I guess I will find out once the paperwork goes through and we get all our new microsoft software.

We are doing a Novell to Microsoft Migration so it is a major overhaul. Exchange 2007, Office 2007 (upgrade from office 2000, but the nice thing is we can downgrade to any previous version to make the transition easier), Server 2003 R2 (with software assurance so we can get longhorn) and Vista Enterprise. Plus little extras like Sharepoint Portal services which is very cool if you have had the chance to see it.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    the differences between the vistas

Kinda over the top just to get a poker game isn't it?
    Ya think?!!
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

I assumed that Vista Ultimate would come in a MS Action Pack subscribtion, but the Action Pack only includes the Business Edition. Maybe that will change at some point, but I doubt it.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    I assumed that Vista Ultimate would come in a MS Action Pack subscribtion, but the Action Pack only includes the Business Edition. Maybe that will change at some point, but I doubt it.
    It did. Well a beta version. Both 32 and 64 bit versions. Came in the plastic "toolkit" thingies they sent out in October I believe. Dual booting it with XP on a test box in the office.

The business edition arrived today.
    Sergeant WOTPP