Opinions Sought. Monitors Wanted

Thread: Opinions Sought. Monitors Wanted

Question Opinions Sought. Monitors Wanted

Hey gang questions afoot.

A friend of mine invited me to the "Market Pro's Computer Show". From what I've read the appear to be a "hosting agent". Everything they have on there web say says they host the show and vendors come. So buyer beware.

So questions are as follows:

1)Reccommend your top 5 Flat Panel monitors.

2) I game will going flat panel affect that? Gotta have the FPS man.

3) Will going dual screen affect my gaming?

I use dual monitors at work and its nice but works for me AT work. I just wonder if it will work at home.

Hmm if I think of any more questions I'll ask. ooh ya.

4) Anyone ever heard of these shows or been to one so I can have more than a "buyer beware" warning?

Thanks

ShadowDragon
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

Viewsonic VX2245WM, IMHO, the best you can get for a gamer.
    They have a smaller 19" version of the same, all depends on your budget.

Almost identical in specs, the Samsung 226WBW/225BW.

Dual monitors are good, I'd rather a larger widescreen, those Dell 24/30" models are amazing as well.

Viewsonics are my favorite..I have two 19 inchers here..as far as dual monitors..if you typically multitask, like editing a website on one side..working with graphics on the other..then yeah..if you are using it for one program..say a game..then TechZ is right on..a wider flat panel would be my choice. Be sure to check the monitor requirements for the games you usually play though.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

My question would be about these shows - how is the warranty handled?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Dual VS Single

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Viewsonic VX2245WM, IMHO, the best you can get for a gamer.
    They have a smaller 19" version of the same, all depends on your budget.

Almost identical in specs, the Samsung 226WBW/225BW.

Dual monitors are good, I'd rather a larger widescreen, those Dell 24/30" models are amazing as well.

I've thought of that TZ but how will one BIG vs two duals affect my gaming? The video card I use is already dual so thats why the consideration for dual screens instead of one large one. I've had other friends at work say the same thing if it helps you. Get a large 24"

Buyer Beware

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    My question would be about these shows - how is the warranty handled?
    Thats my concern as well NooNoo. I'm going to be asking ALOT of questions before I buy anything. A great price is only as good as the service behind it. A sucker is born every minute.. Yada Yada. I can go on and on.

What is the return policy at the shows?

Each exhibitor has its own return policy. Please check your receipt for the exhibitor's return policy, or better yet, check with the exhibitor prior to your purchase. MarketPro Computer Shows has a policy that each exhibitor must make their return policy explicitly clear to shoppers at the point of purchase.

What types of warranties are available for products I purchase?
    Our shows feature different computer wholesalers, retailers and distributors selling primarily IBM-compatible computer hardware, software, accessories and services. Each exhibitor has its own set of policies and warranties; therefore, we are unable to give specific information. We suggest you come prepared with competitive pricing and warranty information from other outlets to get the best price, service and warranty possible. Be sure to discuss warranties and return policies with each exhibitor prior to making a purchase, and be sure to get written documentation of these policies along with a payment receipt for your purchases.

How do I resolve an issue I have with an Exhibitor?
    MarketPro Computer Shows takes customer service issues seriously. In order to properly serve you, please follow these simple procedures:

1. Contact the Exhibitor first. Please be aware that because Exhibitors work Saturdays and Sundays at shows their weekday work hours may vary. Please give them ample time to research and respond to your need/complaint.

2. Get an RMA# (Return Merchandise Authorization Number) from the Exhibitor if you are shipping your purchase back to the Exhibitor and place this number inside and on the outside of your package. Also, please keep in your records, the Exhibitor employee's name that has been helping you.

3. Paper Trail Please document your interaction with Exhibitor -- keep a paper trail of your contacts with the Exhibitor. Record names, who said what, and the instructions given and when.

4. Contact MarketPro Computer Shows. Finally, if your efforts to resolve the issue with the Exhibitor are not producing satisfaction, please complete and submit our Customer Service Form.

So once again I say HMMMM I'll be asking lots of questions and getting stuff in writing first me thinks. :P

No comments on monitors, but some about the MarketPro shows....

1) BUYER BEWARE!!! Your gut instincts are good on this. There is a lot of "export only" stuff sold at these stores (marked down because it was intended to be sold overseas) and has been stolen off a truck or a shipyard. When you see CPU chips that cost an OEM $99 selling for $50, you know there is something going on. There was plenty of pirated software at the last few I attended. Lots of swindlers out for a quick buck. Some stuff is good, some bad - but there is a lot of stuff that doesn't work or is obsolete being sold at a great price.

2) Warranties are written on water. The goal is to get people to buy stuff, leave before it breaks, then not honor the warranty "Each vendor has a different return policy".... If you buy something you will usually get all sorts of warranty information, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. Since the show is in town for usually only two or three days, when it is over the vendors are nowhere to be found. Phone calls are often not returned or answered. Even better, a lot of the vendors change their business name every couple months. "I'm sorry, that was sold by ABC computers. That company was bought out by ZXY computers, hence we can not honor the warranty....

We contacted the FBI about some of the shady business dealings going on (this was probably 2002/2003) and the person we spoke with said "yes, we know" .... but we didn't get anything further.

I personally attended many of the Marketpro shows when they were in the area. Yes, there are good deals to be had. There are honest vendors present as well as crooks. An experienced technician can come out on top - know which things are a good deal, and score decent equipment at perhaps half the cost of a normal store. This is especially true if you don't mind buying pirated software and hardware that was stolen off the loading docks. If you are not a well-honed techician keep an extra tight grip on your money.

I have gotten some good deals on tools at the Marketpro shows. I have bought a legit copy of Riven and some moderately rare Tolkien audiocassettes. I've even had luck with some of the controller cards and the couple of motherboards that I have bought at these shows.

Joe Average, on the other hand, gets reamed out and taken to the cleaners. The store at which I work always had about triple the business for the month after the computer show was in town. The story was always the same "I bought this at the computershow, and it doesn't work. I tried calling the company I bought it from but couldn't get an answer". Same story, just with different people.

If you are going to the computer show, go early on the first day. For instance, if the show runs saturday and sunday, go early saturday. When they were here, they had one-day passes for about $10 and a two-day pass for $12. Always pay for the extra day.

Anything you buy on Saturday morning, install and test immediately. Stress test it, put it through its paces. If anything is even slightly wrong, be there early on Sunday and get a refund or exchange from the vendor (before they skip town in the afternoon). Sometime you can find really good deals Sunday afternoon (they don't want to repack merchandise, and would rather lose money selling it than repack), but buying then is always a gamble (if it doesn't work, you won't be able to get your money back). The only things that I have found to be bad I was able to get a refund on the next day (which is why I advise you pay for the extra day first, rather than pay for 2 $10 passes).

In short - go, but keep a tight grip on your wallet and be very careful about buying anything. The shows are interesting and you can get some good deals - just be careful. If possible, have them demo the unit in the box in front of you before you pay for it. Assume that any warranty is gone once the show leaves town.

These days, it's hard to suggest specific models, because model life is just so short. Brands are a different matter, of course. Viewsonic and Samsung are, IMHO, about as good as it gets. Both have great customer service and fine products. I like Acer LCDs a lot too, but if you are pretty serious about game performance, they don't really equal the best offerings from Viewsonic and Samsung. For a gamer, response time is pretty critical to avoid blurred and streaked video. Viewsonic and Samsung both offer competitively priced models with 4 ms response times plus good contrast and brightness. Some of the middle of the road brands like Acer are wonderful for business use, but offer slower response times. The economy brands tend to be slow, dim, lacking in contrast, and poorly backed and supported.