Vista - Ie 7 crashes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista - Ie 7 crashes

Vista - Ie 7 crashes

Intel 865perlk MB / 3.0 GHz P4 800 MHZ 2mb chace / 2 GB DDR / 2 x 250 GB WD SATA HD....

CANNOT get vista to work properly- soundmax sound has no drivers availalbe which is not a big deal, i can add a sound card, but i am not able to get internet explorer to work. Using a MSDN subscirption Vista Ultimate, and once windows is installed (fresh install- with drive formated with the vista setup) cannot browse much. Most sites will crash the browser with the message 'Internet explorer has stopped working' and this does the same thing in all types of accounts (admin, etc). Does the same thing if i disable add ons, and also if i turn off protected mode. REALLY stuck on this one. I run a small computer repair company, and put vista on this weekend to make sure i was familiar with it, but had to reimage my old Windows XP pro back on last night, after attempting to fix all weekend.

Any ideas?
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

What other programs do you have loaded?
    Office 2007 is mentioned as a culprit
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I did this 2 times with same result, (not an upgrade, fresh install with formating drive within the setup from booting with cd). First time, i installed windows, then installed Norton 2007, and AIM 6 --- aim 6 crahsed massively, norton would not finish the install, then could not get to any sites via ie7 to figure out any issues. 2nd time, ONLY installed ie7, it was crashing right from the get go-- attempted to update intel inf drivers and nvidia drivers- did not resolve.

Did you format between first and 2nd vistas? If not, Norton is still there....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yes, deleted drive, then formated all via the setup from cd

Turn off user account control in control panel... what has the event viewer to say about this?

did not try user account control- thanks for the one, i cannot recall what even viewr said, a mess of errors that i did not hav hits on, but i had to ghost my old drive back so i can work this week (i run a computer repair shop out of my home, was trying to get vista on my main system to force me to use it )

Well when you reinstall it, we can go on from there....

yeah, thanks- i'm just trying to get some ammo for when i do- i plan on pickig up an extra drive today so that i dont have to keep going back and forth.

32bit or 64bit Vista?

I have installed the Vista got from my technet subscription on a few PCs at work with no problem. Found the soundcard(which is a soundmax card) and all other devices no problem. I haven't thrown much software at it yet, but plan too soon.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

32bit

Have you tried loading another browser to see if this is primarily a IE7 problem
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

IE7 CRASHES TAKE 2 (Vista)

Ok- all the same hardware, only difference is that i made sure that the most recent bios update was installed for my mb (from 2005, so pre-vista) and it made no difference. This time i am using a brand new WD SATA 250GB drive so i can swap back to my old XP if needed quickly.

SAME problems.

Updates though---

Firefox DOES seem to work, however some of the things i need to do, only work in IE7- so that is not a solution, but DOES prove that the problem is specific to IE7.

Made sure ALL drivers that are available are updated- only updates were for my Intel 865 chipset, the Intel Pro network card, and the nVidia drivers.

Disabled modem, and sound which were not detecting drivers that would work.

Turned off user accounts controls, made sure that all addins were disabled, and turned protected mode off.

Even went as far as setting ALL security settings in the browser to the absolute lowest.... same thing.

The event viewer posts this info....

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549af03, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b854, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x006f8c46, process id 0xdc4, application start time 0x01c74d1c58284aa1.

Each error is almost identical. So it appears the issue is related to mshtml.dll.

I tried re-registering dlls (as per old kb doc) and these dlls WILL re-register- actxprxy.dll,jscript.dll,vbscript.dll, and oleaut32.dll. the following WILL NOT shdocvw.dll,mshtml.dll,and browseui.dll.

I have tried unregistering these first, get errors.

Any more ideas? I really need to get this working, as i am also getting calls on the same thing from others...... its pretty bad when some of your customers are using Vista and you are not

try this

Which Vista edition are you using and where did you get it?
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 10th, 2007 at 10:11 AM.

I dont have google desktop or toobar or anything else installed-- just what comes with Vista.

Using Vista Ultimate Build 6000 - thru MSDN subsciption