Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?

Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?

If you are already looking for a driver, it means you probably came across this post too late.

If this post is not too late then click here to run the compatibility test

So for those of you who have loaded Vista without checking click here for the hardware compatibility list

The folks over at ieXwiki have started a list of what software does and doesn't work This is not an official list, just the members experiences. Thanks TechZ for finding it!

If your device does not appear on the compatibility list and your device manufacturer does not have Vista drivers, that means there isn't one at the moment.

Will there be one?

Who knows? You can write to your device manufacturer and ask them what their plans are. If you get a reply, post in this forum and let everyone know.

Why doesn't Vista already have the drivers?

As you can see from the compatibility list, Vista already contains hundreds of drivers. If you are using something that is not there, you can not blame Microsoft! It is impossible to include every single driver for every device with Vista. The device manufacturer is responsible for writing the drivers.

My device manufacturer says there are no plans to write drivers for my device - now what do I do?

You have four options:
    1. Go back to your previous operating system that worked.
    2. Buy a new device that is supported in Vista
    3. Hire a driver programmer to write you a driver
    4. Write the driver yourself

The last two may seem flippant, but they aren't. You can hire people to do this, you can learn to do this yourself if you want to.

Isn't this just a scam to get you to buy new hardware/Software?

No. Your hardware and software worked with the operating system listed in its specification. The fact that you want to run Vista with this hardware is your choice. Vista is designed to work with new hardware and hardware currently in development.

If you have useful links or replies or updates from manufacturers, please post them below. If you want to rant about the fact that your 5 year old software/hardware is unsupported, then you can do that in the tech lounge!
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 7th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This is very good NooNoo. I have already gotten 5 or 6 phone calls from teachers that bought Vista and tried to put it on computers that were near 5 years old or older. I am sure similar complaints will surface all over the internet and the intial blame will fall on Microsoft because they didn't make Vista compatible with their 5 year old video card or their kids game that was designed for Windows 98 or something.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I just loaded Vista business off the actionpack and i have gotten all of the drivers for my devices inc my highpoint sata raid card.
    One note I should mention here is software.
    Some like older quickbooks are not compatible without upgrading to the newest version. I suggest checking major 3rd software programs early to see if they,
    in fact are compatible with Vista as well
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Yepper, Ferrit, right now software problems are the big stumbling block in Vista upgrades. In general, software publishers (not MS) are at fault. Intuit, for instance has Vista problems because they continue to use programming techniques that explicitly violate MS guidelines. Rather than do it right, Intuit has mostly ignored the guidelines and just cranked out software that has never been certified as XP compatible. But then, I could write a book on how very, very, much I dislike Intuit.

Of course there are some products lacking drivers for Vista, but we had the same situation with XP. As hardware profit margins shrink, vendors tend to offer less support; including drivers. Creative is a good case in point. They like to trumpet the quality of their hardware, but I remember waiting something like a year after XP was released before Creative had drivers that offered any better support for my SB Live than the drivers MS had written. In fact, to get a soundcard and software that performed well, I finally bought an Audigy2 ZS. Uh, what was this thread about?

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List

An UnOfficial Hardware Compatibility List as well,

Excellent analysis regarding the Vista drivers situation.

I have been using Vista64 ultimate for a month and find it very good.
    My basic system hardware:
    Asus NCT-D(A)
    Dual Intel 64bit 32GHz
    Nvidia Quadro FX3450 250Mb CAD optimised
    Adaptec scsi Raid 5
    Onboard Soundmax
    Hp C3180 Printer
    HP Designjet 750C Plotter with unused jetdirect

All of the this works fine except the plotter (no driver support, nor will there be any from HP!)
    I have tried X64 drivers without any success, and tweaking Designjet 1050c and 430 drivers which nearly work in that I can print correctly except no colour. (Designjet 430 is mono only).

Where could I find a driver code writer who could adapt or write new drivers? I would be happy to pay a bit to get the old 750C properly working with Vista.

Or better still I'll try any work around!! Any suggestions?

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This looks good, but having trouble installing trial version into Vista because of unsigned drivers. I have contacted support and await the reply.

Thanks for the lead.

mmmm...
    Got the demo installed using 'disable certified drivers' mode.
    Progressed through the stages to get a driver but failed at the point of compiling.
    I fear its a bit advanced for my knowledge.

In any event the cost is prohibitive for a full version.

BTW can anyone tell me how to extract XP-X64 drivers to work in vista?
    I can boot to vista and show all the files in XP-X64 from a second drive.

HP designjet 750C works perfectly from XP-X64 and in mono only in Vista. Printing the test plot shows the listed drivers to be identical??

Any further thoughts?

Yes you can browse the files in the xp drive from vista.
    Try the x64 drivers in unsigned mode?

Do You Have Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) Driver for windows Vista?

Nope, it was nearly too old for XP, it's definitely too old for Vista!
    Sorry, but Welcome to Windrivers mosyria

Thanks Noo, what a fantastic list and how nice to see most of what I have got and am using in XP will work in Vista. Have just installed trial of Business Edition until I get my new computer with Home Premium. I was very impressed with how Vista instal found all my hardware on this just over three years old machine and put the correct drivers on unlike in XP where you have to instal everything afterwards.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Anytime!

If your hardware is resonably decent its actually amazing how it installs everything
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html