W2K Server domain issues

Thread: W2K Server domain issues

W2K Server domain issues

Okay I did some work at a company that used to have an NT Server. I just setup a W2K server as a Domain Controller. Now, this company uses a firewall to connect all PC's to the internet. This firewall also is a DHCP Server. There are 7 client pc's running W2K Pro and XP. I don't have much experience setting up a W2K Server domain, so need some advice. I have setup static IP on the server. I have DNS running on the DC, but I don't have anything listed under DNS on the Server. Now, when I go to each PC and let's say I want to add that user as a local administrator. when I'm in computer management, local users and groups - Groups - Administrators. When I click add and look under 'from this location', I do NOT see the domain. I believe this is a DNS issue. Also, one of the PC's takes a few minutes when logging in. I believe that DNS is running on the firewall since this was an NT domain. Any advice would help me with this issue. Thanks!
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Do you actually want the firewall to be the dhcp server?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, this is the way the network was setup by their previous sys admin, so I don't want to change the way it is setup. I'm just wondering about the configuration of DNS on the W2K Server and the client PC's.

Is the server's static ip outside the scope of the dhcp server?
    Have you set the dns server ip on the clients?
    In active directory on the server, is the domain shown?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, its within the same scope.

No, the clients are setup for DHCP, so I haven't configured anything on the clients.

I don't remember. I am going onsite Saturday morning so I will know more about this question. I believe I can see the domain from the server through Network Places. your asking about AD, I don't think it is.

One of my sys admins at work has told me this is what I need to do. Please let me know if this sounds correct.
    on the W2K Server, go to DNS, then properties, click on the Forwarders tab and add the DNS from the firewall. On the firewall (this is how they access the internet and also the dhcp server), under DNS, type the IP address of the W2K Server. then just ipconfig /release /renew on the client PC's so they point to the DNS server.

Quote Originally Posted by Todo
    No, its within the same scope.
    You set static ips outside the scope of the dhcp server... otherwise the dhcp server might give out the static ip...

No, the clients are setup for DHCP, so I haven't configured anything on the clients.
    but the dns server is on one ip and the dhcp server is on another...cut down the network chatter by adding the dns server info.

I don't remember. I am going onsite Saturday morning so I will know more about this question. I believe I can see the domain from the server through Network Places. your asking about AD, I don't think it is.

One of my sys admins at work has told me this is what I need to do. Please let me know if this sounds correct.
    on the W2K Server, go to DNS, then properties, click on the Forwarders tab and add the DNS from the firewall. On the firewall (this is how they access the internet and also the dhcp server), under DNS, type the IP address of the W2K Server. then just ipconfig /release /renew on the client PC's so they point to the DNS server.
    Yes...and make sure the dns server is authorised...