Home networking setup

Thread: Home networking setup

Home networking setup

Hey,
    I'm back for yet another post. Sorry havent been around for a while. I was wondering what the best configuration is with the following:
    - Ethernet switch 10/100/1000 (no software) 5 port
    - Hardware firewall-(no software) Alpha Shield to be exact (easy dissconnect switch with no connection repair ness.)
    - Router
    - Cat6 cables
    - Firewall (cisco with software VPN able)
    -
    I guess the real question here is what order should I set these items up in. How should I run four systems off of these, and what is the best configuration for optimum speed and performance of the network? Should I run a base server and then connect personal systems to the server. I have an idea but just curious as to other thoughts. Sorry for the vagueness. Oh, and also, this setup will be connecting one system in the house to the VPN so I can work from home but connect myself to my office network. Will do personal work from here..yes workaholic.

Which router.. how many ports has it got?
    How is your internet connection being fed in?
    Is the router vpn capable?

As for whether you have a server or not... do you want one? 4 pcs will happily form a peer to peer network.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Which router.. how many ports has it got?
    -SpeedStream 5200 - 1 port in sympatico and 1 out enet (1 USB port, dont want to use it though)

How is your internet connection being fed in?
    -dry loop phone cable input directly from outside

Is the router vpn capable?
    -well im guessing no, but it is a business line so I think it actually might be, lets assume it is and if not I will get one.

As for whether you have a server or not... do you want one? 4 pcs will happily form a peer to peer network.
    -server may not be ness.

OK, the speedstream is modem/router supplied by Sympatico - that makes it a little different

page 17/35 talks about setting up vpn

So connect the router/adsl modem and connect the port to the switch - connect the 4 pcs to the switch. Confirm you have that working, then add your firewall.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Forgot to mention that the firewall is cisco PIX series p/n 47-10539-02
    It comes with 7.0 software, do I still use bell VPN setup?

Well how else are you going to connect to the internet? The router contains the modem.

here is a picture of a typical pix setup Read as you scroll down....

I thought you were saying to use bell's software for VPN setup. I was just asking do I have to use bells software? I'm aware that the internet is connected with bell via router/modem. Thanks for the link info about Cisco Pix I have bookmarked it for future reference.

The bell software is a client... for you to connect to a vpn server... where is the vpn server going to be?

here is more about vpn
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 16th, 2007 at 04:59 AM.

The VPN server will be at the office now that i think about it. The options are exhausting in which one to use for VPN (configurating the VPN type) Obviously software and hardware will determine the outcome for the most part. I will need to dig a little deeper to find a way that will best suit my needs. Regardless of that though I most definitely want to make sure the connection/tunnel is as secure as possible. Any recommendations or ways to do this for less overhead?

VPN uses IPSEC and if properly set up is secure...if not setup properly, then like anything, it can be compromised.