wireless range? Radisson Inn Free wireless access? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wireless range? Radisson Inn Free wireless access?

That Florida report makes no mention of whether it was a secure network or not. If you lock your wireless down and someone hacks it, that is illegal and you can and should be prosecuted. If you leave it wide open to the public, well then that is perfectly legal here in my area I can assure you. It is no different than the local Panera Bread I wouldn't think but am sure you will disagree with me.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhubbard24
    That Florida report makes no mention of whether it was a secure network or not. If you lock your wireless down and someone hacks it, that is illegal and you can and should be prosecuted. If you leave it wide open to the public, well then that is perfectly legal here in my area I can assure you. It is no different than the local Panera Bread I wouldn't think but am sure you will disagree with me.
    There have been cases taken to court where people have been caught using unsecured wireless networks without permission, and they been convicted. I'll find links and post here shortly. That may not be the law in your particular state at the moment, but rest assured, it will be in the future.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; February 22nd, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

If you keep your money in the safe and someone visiting you breaks in to the safe, then that is illegal, but if you have it sitting on your dresser and the same person takes it, then that isn't?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I stand corrected, the two cases I've read where people were convicted, the one did not say for sure if the wifi was secured or not, and the other the guy was charged with using the unsecured wifi connections to send out mass SPAM, so that was the actual crime he was charged with.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    If you keep your money in the safe and someone visiting you breaks in to the safe, then that is illegal, but if you have it sitting on your dresser and the same person takes it, then that isn't?
    People argue that all these things are different because you're not physically taking something, but the bottom line is that your stealing a service that you are not paying for.