Nvidia 7600GS freezing issues

Thread: Nvidia 7600GS freezing issues

Nvidia 7600GS freezing issues

Just got an Nvidia 7600GS. When I hook it up, and connect the power supply to it (as is recommended to get the best graphics) my computer gets to the "Windows is starting up" screen, then locks up and won't go any further. However, when I disconnect it from the power supply, Windows starts up fine, but the card has to run on powered-down mode, which provides less graphic capabilities. I've tried disconnecting something else, thinking maybe it was just too much stuff for the power supply, but no luck there. Anyone heard of this issue and no of a way to fix it?

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    are you running the latest drivers? I know people were having power problems with this card with some of the older original drivers.

I do have the latest drivers, having updated them without connecting the power supply, then reconnecting it. Sadly, that didn't fix the issue.

The brand is PNY, since you asked.

Have you checked your rails on the power supply to make sure they're putting out what they're supposed to be?

Well, it works fine when the card isn't connected to the power supply, and disconnecting a different device doesn't seem to help, so I don't think it's likely an issue with the amount of power being supplied, but perhaps a different issue altogether that may be caused by whatever the power supply connection does for the card.
    However, I would be willing to check that, but I'm not exactly sure how to do so...every once in a while, I do come across something I've never had to do before, I suppose.

Well, then why is it that, upon starting up the computer, it warns that the card is not receiving power from the power supply, and that it will have to run in a less than optimal mode when I remove the power?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    PNY 7600GS Graphic's card has no additional power connector other than the SLI which requires two graphic cards. SLI conector is not a power plug.
    Look at this page, this one sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Yes the AGP version does, previous post was posted towards PCI-E type graphic card.
    Ok, just checking. I was assuming he was using the AGP since it does have the power connector.