Cant remove printer driver (driver is from server) LaserJet 5550

Thread: Cant remove printer driver (driver is from server) LaserJet 5550

Cant remove printer driver (driver is from server) LaserJet 5550

Win XP PRO SP2

I have a client who is connecting to hp color LaserJet 5550 on a server to print. Recently, the driver was updated on this printer. Most users simply deleted their printer and reconnected to it and it worked fine. One user keeps getting the error “Windows cannot print due to problem with current printer setup.” Then I deleted the printer and in the printer and Faxes window and file>server properties> driver tab> and found “HP Color Laserjet 5550” and tried to remove it. I get error stating it is being used by something else.

Did a restart and tried it, same error. Ran msconfig and unchecked “load startup items,” still same error. In task manager under process, I end process of spoolsv.exe and was not even able to get into file>server properties.

Any ideas on how I can remove this driver in file>server properties>driver tab?

When you say the printer is on a server, do you mean a print server or a computer running a server operating system like W2K Server of Server 2003? If the machine in question connects to a Domain, you need to verify that the user is configured as a Power User and not a standard user, otherwise lots of software won't run correctly. Also check to be sure that the print que for the user and the printer are both clear.