Acer Travelmate 4020. How to access Advanced bios settings.

Thread: Acer Travelmate 4020. How to access Advanced bios settings.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Acer Travelmate 4020. How to access Advanced bios settings.

In the bios, which I enter using F2 on the boot, there is an Advanced field that I can't enter. It says it is not available in "user mode" and to contact my System Administrator.
    Acer desktops have had advanced bios features that could be accessed with Alt-F4 or Alt-F8. These don't work on this machine. I also tried ctrl-alt-esc.
    Any ideas?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    I have full access to the password for both Supervisor and User so the link doesn't help me.
    Thanks, anyway.
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

This is essentially the crux of the Travelmate Bios Password system as far as my reasearch can tell:

'Using passwords

Passwords protect your computer from unauthorized access. Setting these passwords creates several different levels of
    protection for your computer and data:

Supervisor Password prevents unauthorized entry into the BIOS utility. Once set, you must enter this password to gain access
    to the BIOS utility.

User Password secures your computer against unauthorized use. Combine the use of this password with password checkpoints on
    boot-up and resume from Hibernation for maximum security.

Password on Boot secures your computer against unauthorized use. Combine the use of this password with password checkpoints
    on boot-up and resume from Hibernation for maximum security.

Important!

Do not forget your Supervisor Password! If you forget your password, please get in touch with your dealer or an authorized
    service center.

Entering passwords

When a password is set, a password prompt appears in the center of the display screen.

When the Supervisor Password is set, a prompt appears when you press <F2> to enter the BIOS utility at boot-up. Type the
    Supervisor Password and press <Enter> to access the BIOS utility. If you enter the password incorrectly, a warning message appears. Try again and press <Enter>.

When the User Password is set and the password on boot parameter is enabled, a prompt appears at boot-up. Type the User
    Password and press <Enter> to use the computer. If youenter the password incorrectly, a warning message appears. Try again
    and press <Enter>.

Important! You have three chances to enter a password. If you fail to enter the password correctly after three tries, the

system halts. Press and hold the power button for four seconds to shut down the computer. Then turn on the computer again,
    and try again.

Setting passwords

You can set passwords using the BIOS utility.'

What I get from this is, you should have either unlimited access to the bios OR a password request right of the mark.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think my original post may be the track -ie, reset the bios and passwords.

You could try flashing the bios and make sure that reset cmos is checked...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I appreciate the help. I have already returned the computer. The hard drive was no longer being recognized and I was trying to access the ide configuration settings in the bios to see if something had changed. I tried a good drive and it worked. So the problem was just that the old drive had died.
    I did want to see if I could find out how to access the Advanced settings so I could keep it on file for the future. I am guessing that it is there for Acer techs only but I was hoping I could find out how to access it myself.
    So for now it is just one of those mysteries that goes unanswered.