CD drive dont want to read some CDs previously readed!

Thread: CD drive dont want to read some CDs previously readed!

CD drive dont want to read some CDs previously readed!

Hello to all. First of all i want to congratulate you all for this forums. I couldnt find any solution to my problem in here, but im sure i solved pretty much doubts i had. So congratulations to all and i hope this post can help other with the same werid problem as me. Ok after all the hugs and love, lets get down to the root of all evil.

So whats the problem? Well it started a couple days ago, like 3 days or something like that. I was happy cause i buyed a Final Fantasy Soundtrack that i was looking long time ago. So i came excited to my house to listen it and rip it on mp3 files for my Ipod. The werid thing is that, when i inserted the disc, nothing happened. The disc aparently tried to load, but after little time, i start to hear that the Cd drive just stopped. This was werid, so i opened th explorer and watch what was going on (oh, there were no Autostart). So when i tried to explore the disc, the drive start reading it, or attemping to read it, and after all there was no response, and aparently, the explorer got frozen. So i left it a while to give another chance to my computer, and aprently it opened the disc, but there was nothing inside. Just like an empty disc. Nothing was inside. Nothing of the nothings. I opened the itunes and it didnt recognised that there was a disc inside. Then i tried to "copy" but Roxio didnt recognise it either. Same with Winamp and Windows Media Player. I started to get worried, but i finally conclued it was because some topic relationed with the disc type. So i went to my Mom's laptop and tried to see if it loaded there, and, such as magic, the disc was readed. So i tried to rip it form there with the Itunes, but it reported something like a disck lock or something like that. After that i got all tired, and i conclued again it was because of the disc type. I went down to a friends house, and i asked if he could copy it for me, for having a disc with the same data but diferent disc type. His computer readed it, and he coipied for me. I introduced the copies in my computer, and it readed it. Once again! I conclcued it was cause of the disc type. I started to think i get rid of the problem, but yesterday i was triying to watch some DVDs, and for my surprise, the same issue happened. Not readin after all. So i was concerned and i tried to insert music disc, and it didnt read it too. I was all freaked out, so i tried another music disc, but this time, it was loaded perfectly. I tried another Cd and it loaded it, and i tried other DVD and it loaded it! So i tried once again the DVD i was originaly triying to watch, but, again happened the same. I went to sleep because i was too sleepy to solve the problem, an i was quite pleased to find out, that if it readed some disc, then it probably wouldnt be a Hardware issue. I have a laptop, and i really dont want to mess the hardware. So i was keep triying today to find a solution to my problem. My idea was "Ok, if it is a software problem (I hate you bill gates) then probably loading on secure system mode can solve my problem. I was just restarting for triying this possible solution, but before windows xp loading screen (you know where you have to press Supr or F8 to open the OS mode section) it starte to read the disc. My surprise is taht i waited long time to load the win xp loading screen. And it was reading the disc. Anyway, i couldnt started on secure mode, but anyhow i started windows xp on normal mode, and for my surprise, when i opened the explorer, the DVD was with its title, its icon, and, after a long waiting it readed it and reproduced it. I was pleased cause once again, i was thinking i finally get rid of the problem, and probably restarting was the solution after all, so triying to probe this, i tried to get out my DVD. suddenly, the disc was like reading at all speed, like if my laptop where to launch at the space , and i pushed
    the button to pull out the Cd and even that i waited a long time, the drive never let me pull it out. I had to do what i had to do, and i restarted it from an incorrect mode, pushing the power button like for 5 seconds. Yes, too damn werid. After that i decided to try again the secure mode thing, and even that i did it, there was still the same problem. Finally i tried to do again leaving the disc inside, restarting, and that my drive readed it, but this time, it dosnt happened like that. And for ending this long topic, finally i get decided to see if my drive refused to burn things, you know, just to find about somthing that could give me more information about my problem and no only googling "disc stop reading some CDs", "mat****a dvd-ram uj-841s stop reading" or "DVDs arnt reading". But i have no sucesfull, cause right now, in this moment, im coping some DVDs and whats the worst of all? that the DVD for the copy that im using its the same model as the one that dosnt want to read on my computer! Anyway, you could say now "this guy is all werid, why he isnt thinking that maybe the DVDs witch arnt reaing are dirty, duty or scratched" BUT!, in the first of all, as i said in one of the lines up there, i didnt tried only with those DVDs. i also tried with a music CD, and dont forget the Final Fantasy Soundtrack, witch was the main CDs where i noed this issue. Ok, im really really but really desesperate triyin to solve this problem, because fortunatly the problem is only happening with some movies, but i dont want this happen with some real important info i need to work on the future. Im also concerned of the drive condisions, i really really dont want to buy a new one or changed it or send to repair my laptop. I really depend on "her" (you know, school, work, plus im a musican too so you can imagine). wow, long post, since probably if you are reading this surely you forget about everithing this was about, i will post down here the main issue:

MY CD DRIVE STOP READING DVDs AND CDs THAT IN A PAST THEY WERE READED.

As usual here are the main charceristics of my laptop:

SONY VAIO VGNFE750FM
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    1 GB on RAM
    160 GB Hard Disk
    mat****a dvd-ram uj-841s (important note, aprently, mat****a or panasonic drives has various problems)
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 (who knows, NVIDIA always has screwed me up somehow hehe)

Antivirus and etc:

Firewall Zone Alarm
    AVG 7.5
    AVG Anti Spiware
    Ad Aware
    Windows Firewall is turned off

Oh and before i end posting this:

Cleaning the Lens- Done it
    Uninstall Drivers and reinstalling them-Done it
    Searching a virus or some corruption- Done it (nothing were founded)
    Restarting on secure mode-done it
    Disconecting the drive, and plug it again- I havnt done it (Please i beg you, im pretty sure this dosnt havent abithing to do with the solution to my problem)
    Restoring the System to previous configuration-Done it
    Restarting the full system- I havnt done it (Of course, main and terminate soltion, but, come on, i have 100 Gbs of all my stuff u_u)

And the probem is there still. As you can see, i have serched all over the web, triying to find something, but nothing. I Really really hope you guys can help me to solution this. Again, congratulation for the forums, to everyone, hope this commiunity grow more and more to help more people, and of course im so sorry for my spelling and ortografy. Yes Shoot me hit me, but accept my apologise please.

Have a good day ^_^

Welcome to Windrivers Valentine

If you have a 100gigs of stuff not backed up, now is the time to do it... and quickly!

You didn't mention if your dvd drive burns ok... backing up your stuff would be a good test.

Are the movies you tried all shop bought or are they burned dvds?

Have you been to sony support to see if there are bios / firmware or chipset updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."